cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does AP310 supports 802.11r (fast transition)?

Does AP310 supports 802.11r (fast transition)?

_Alex_
New Contributor

I am sure to see this option on the wlan profile settings, but i can't find anything official in the specs?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

StephanH
Valued Contributor III

I don’t want to say that your answer is false, because I also think that it supports this feature (even IdentFi Controller + APs supported this feature), buuut… Where on earth is this listed in the datasheet? 😄

In the XCC datasheet features like 802.11k, 802.11w, band steering and many more are listed, but not 802.11r/Fast transition. (In the IdentiFi datasheet it was indeed listed)

In the AP datasheet such features are not listed at all. 

Now I wonder why it isn’t listed anywhere? This seems to confuse other people as well. Maybe @Sam Pirok can help. 😄 

Hello Stefan,

I am pretty sure. I saw the Fast Transition flag in the beacon frame from the AP310 and in difference to an datasheet a beacon tell the truth?. Please be aware Fast Transition is only available with 802.1X, with PSK it does not make sense.

Tested only with XCC!

Regards Stephan

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

_Alex_
New Contributor

Great, thanks your explanation!

StephanH
Valued Contributor III

Hello Alex,

Roughly:
When using a PSK, the key material is exchanged as part of the 4-way handshake. In an 802.1X procedure, however, the EAP authentication must be run through before the 4-way handshake, which is also necessary. This is exactly where 802.1r comes in. The Fast Transition shortens the EAP part and exchanges data before roaming, but not the 4-way handshake. This must always be passed through.  The 4-way handshake cannot be accelerated further by shortening if you use PSK

Regards Stephan

_Alex_
New Contributor

Hello and thanks @all,
I ask a little obliviously, why does it only make sense in conjunction with 802.1x?

StephanH
Valued Contributor III

I don’t want to say that your answer is false, because I also think that it supports this feature (even IdentFi Controller + APs supported this feature), buuut… Where on earth is this listed in the datasheet? 😄

In the XCC datasheet features like 802.11k, 802.11w, band steering and many more are listed, but not 802.11r/Fast transition. (In the IdentiFi datasheet it was indeed listed)

In the AP datasheet such features are not listed at all. 

Now I wonder why it isn’t listed anywhere? This seems to confuse other people as well. Maybe @Sam Pirok can help. 😄 

Hello Stefan,

I am pretty sure. I saw the Fast Transition flag in the beacon frame from the AP310 and in difference to an datasheet a beacon tell the truth?. Please be aware Fast Transition is only available with 802.1X, with PSK it does not make sense.

Tested only with XCC!

Regards Stephan
GTM-P2G8KFN