Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Establish D2 Series management session without COM port

Establish D2 Series management session without COM port

Alice_Grandi
New Contributor II
Hello everyone!
I need ideas to solve this question.

Is there the possibility of programming D2 series switches starting from factory configuration - that is, connecting to the RJ45 switch console port - using a PC that does not have a serial COM port?

I tried using a serial to USB converter connected to the PC usb port, but it didn't work.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions 
6 REPLIES 6

1TallTXn
New Contributor
Being in a similar boat with Macs, I found, and have stared using a device called AirConsole.
Wireless/Bluetooth/Wired access. Impressive little boxes. http://www.get-console.com/shop/

Bharathiraja__S
Extreme Employee
Hi Alice,

What is the response from switch and PC when you connect the cable ?

Thanks,
Suresh.B

USB-to-Serial adaptors will almost never be assigned the COM1-COM4 ports; those are reserved for physical ports as they have specific addresses and IRQ3 and IRQ4 reserved for them. They are generally assigned a higher COM port, 8-12. One reason COM ports change is if a program has the COM port open that port will not be assigned. So if your USB port is loose and the USB-to-Serial adaptor has intermittent connection, and a terminal program has the port open, then the same adaptor will be assigned a new COM port.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Think if you go to 'Control Panel', 'Device manager' and I think its under 'Ports (Coms & LPT)' (not able to look on the PC I'm currently using to check for you) you should be able to see what port your USB device is using - you can then use that in PUTTY.

GTM-P2G8KFN