Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Establish D2 Series management session without COM port

Establish D2 Series management session without COM port

Alice_Grandi
New Contributor II
Hello everyone!
I need ideas to solve this question.

Is there the possibility of programming D2 series switches starting from factory configuration - that is, connecting to the RJ45 switch console port - using a PC that does not have a serial COM port?

I tried using a serial to USB converter connected to the PC usb port, but it didn't work.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions 
6 REPLIES 6

Alice,

We've run into this before with a USB to Serial adapter. We had seen where for no apparent reason, the COM port changes when it is plugged in. We've also seen where an USB/Serial adapter will not work on a laptop even when the driver is loaded correctly.

When we see the message: "Unable to open connection to COM1. Unable to open serial port", that usually indicates an issue with the USB adapter. Even when the console cable is not connected to a switch, so long as the USB adapter is talking to the computer correctly, the COM port should open.

I don't know what USB/Serial adapter you are using, but we have settled on the Tripp-Lite Keyspan USA-19hs. These adapters seem to work on all of our different laptops.

I would look at the adapter first for this issue.

Hi Suresh,
when I connect the switch to the PC using the RJ45 cable, RJ45 to DB9 connector and serial to usb converter it's just like the cable was disconnected.
If I try to establish a management session with PuTTY, as I usually do, the response is "Unable to open connection to COM1. Unable to open serial port".

Obviously I checked the RJ45 cable, RJ45 to DB9 connector and serial to usb converter and I am sure they are ok - I use them successfully to connect to B5 Series that do have serial console port, or D2 Series connected to a PC COM port.

The fact is that I have a Sony VAIO mini laptop that I would like to use to program D2 switches, as sometimes I need to do it outside my office; actually I can do it only if the switch has a serial console port, and using the serial to USB converter connected to one of the laptop USB ports.
GTM-P2G8KFN