cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to connect extreme switch to a another switch

how to connect extreme switch to a another switch

Adam_longtin
New Contributor
What I am trying to do I am not sure if it is even possible, I am trying to setup a testing lab in my house to have 2 vm host running server 2012 on to different subnets so this is how I want to set this up if possible and please tell me if it is not Coming from my modem plugged into pfsense firewall running 192.168.20.2 on the lan side From the firewall plugs into my Extreme switch x250e switch all untagged ports from here to my vm host my server 2012 r2 is setup as a domain controller, DHCP, and DNS on 192.168.20.1/24 this is all working fine , The problem is I have another switch that is a Dell power connect that is running another vm host On this server 2012 r2 is setup as Domain Controller, DHCP, and DNS running ip range 192.168.30.1/24 Is there a way to connect the Extreme switch to the Dell switch to pass traffic back and fourth on both subnets so I can access any other servers or clients on either subnet and Have internet running on both subnets running with 1 modem and firewall Any help would be great
7 REPLIES 7

Adam_longtin
New Contributor
here is a very simple sketch of what i have and trying to setup

8cebc855a30d40c9bc4de662fa1a9fec_RackMultipart20161007-88359-1gfoj6y-network_setup_inline.png

Zdeněk_Pala
Extreme Employee
I believe the best approach is described by Simon = you will have two subnets, each subnet does have own vlan. You need to route the traffic between those subnets. Summit can do routing for you or your firewall can do it. If you have both subnets on both servers then You will need to configure vlans on both switches. If you have one subnet per server then you will need only secondary IP address on the interface. The drawing would help here.
Regards Zdeněk Pala

simon_bingham
New Contributor II
1) using pen and paper sketch your requirement, it is convention to have the default gateways as .1 or .254
2) if you have a vmware server and it has different networks internaly you will need to have a tagged link running to your server ( this can carry multiple subnets on the same link ) I cannot help with this. look at vswitches and tagging

save # save config so you get back to where you where by rebooting

create vlan v20 tag 20
create vlan v30 tag 30
configure vlan v20 ipaddress 192.168.20.254/24
configure vlan v30 ipaddress 192.168.30.254/24
enable ipforwarding v20
enable ipforwarding v30

config default delete ports all
config vlan v20 add port all untagged
config vlan v30 add port 10 tagged # port 10 to vmware server

configure iproute add default 192.168.20.2

--------------
you home router will need to route to
192.168.30.0/24 next hop 192.168.20.254

this config probably has typos

many home routers ( netgear and the type ) don't support multiple internal networks

GTM-P2G8KFN