cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loop prevention on LAN

Loop prevention on LAN

Kar_Del_Moral
New Contributor III
Our current network configuration, is only running ESRP (active/pasive) no stp or mstp, I'll like to implement some loop prevention configuration. Just today I had an issue in one switch that loose the uplink to the Primary Core, this turn into a failover to the secondary core, and it appear the issue was some kind of loop in a communication closet (I unplugged communication link in the whole closet). What do you suggest, do you think ELRP might help me? Thanks
11 REPLIES 11

Bill_Stritzinge
Extreme Employee
Yes, ELRP will provide the L2 edge loop protection that you are looking for. It works fantastic and is easy to configure. You need to configure it per port in each vlan and can use options to log, log-and-trap and disable port for a duration or permanently so you can intervene. Check out the options here in the documentation:

http://documentation.extremenetworks.com/exos/EXOS_All/Troubleshooting/t_configure-standalone-elrp.s...

Johan, I'm testing the configuration using the default vlan on stack, It works great, just testing the log part, now, I'm checking the documentation to know if it is possible to block the port and how to do it.

So you enable the ELRP on the Default and tag the ports you want to monitor for LOOPS excluded the uplinks, correct?

Yes, only for ELRP
Johan Hendrik System Architect Audax

But only for the ELRP or all your port are in vlan default?
GTM-P2G8KFN