cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

OneView maps building links between non Extreme devices

OneView maps building links between non Extreme devices

DH1
New Contributor III
Is it possible to have OneView build links between non Extreme devices? I have a bunch of Transition Networks switches in my network and I would like to populate the links between them. OneView builds the link from the Extreme switch to the first Transition switch but won't build the links after that.

0ee13f6e6cd54a9ab72db0048db99160_RackMultipart20151209-15895-lz0t4s-Transition_inline.jpg

Thanks !

11 REPLIES 11

Matthew_Hum1
Extreme Employee
So it seems as if it cannot draw the link because it cannot figure out which ports to connect. Is there any configuration on the Transition switches for information in LLDP? can you see the port on CLI in the Transition switches? Transition might not be publishing that info in the MIB, it might not know it, or it might be putting it in the wrong MIB. Thats whats needed to verify it. You might need to disable LLDP and try to see if OneView can discover the links with STP.

DH1
New Contributor III
In the DeviceView it shows the link to the Extreme switch and shows IP and Port #. The link to the other Transition switch shows IP but no Port #.

I am running version 6.3.0.162

Matthew_Hum1
Extreme Employee
LLDP will report both sides of the link on the Extreme Switch. Therefore it would get port A on switch 1 from the Extreme switch. This is entirely consistent with not being able to pull info from the Transition switches.

It looks like this might be SNMP issues with the transition switches, as it is apparently polling something and not being able to line up the correct values. I believe it works by using the LLDP MIBs as well as the spanning tree bridge MIBs to line up the correct switches based upon the base MAC.

Can you confirm the version on Netsight you are using? in the DeviceView can you see the neighbors on the Transition Switches? just to see if ANYTHING pulls up.

If the answer remains no, you may want to reach out to your GTAC channel to do a debug to determine why these values are not lining or even showing up. Do the Transition switches require a SNMP context? Unfortunately I am not familiar with Transition devices to further debug this without getting my hands on the devices.

DH1
New Contributor III
I searched for the lldp mib and when I query it, it returns all the info I would expect. When I check the chassis id and the base mac the Transition switches match but the Extreme switches don't. It looks like the the chassis id is the SN of the switch on the Extreme switches.

Upon further looking I have discovered under Network Details>Links it shows the links between devices. It registers the A port whether it is a Transition or Extreme switch but it will not register the B port on the Transition switches, it's just blank. Hope this helps.

eaa222654ff74853b39b953553ec6bd3_RackMultipart20151211-11929-7phhgd-Transition_inline.jpg

How can it register port A on Switch 2 but not register port B on Switch 1? It shows in the Link Details they are connected but Switch 1 doesn't show the port B #.

Thanks for the help!

Matthew_Hum1
Extreme Employee
You can use MIBTools that is part of Netsight Console. I can't remember the exact name of the MIB, but you can type in "lldp" in the MIB tree search to find the correct MIB. you would then press get and see if that MIB returns information for that MIB. You also need to make sure that the LLDP Chassis ID and Base MAC are the same. This is how the maps correlates switches.
GTM-P2G8KFN