Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small Business Replacement for c4500

Small Business Replacement for c4500

gluo
New Contributor II
Hi,

I am rather new to Extreme switching products and I am seeking some advice on what would be a good replacement choice for and old Cisco 4500 switch. The needs are:

• 100 to 150 users
  • 80 Gigabit PoE ports for APs and VoIP phones
  • 48 Gigabit Ports for connecting Servers
Would series 220 be a viable choice? How about X440?

Thank you in advance.

5 REPLIES 5

Michael_Ward
Extreme Employee
Both would be good choices - the 440 48 port PoE model an provide up 15 watts on all 48 ports (or 30 W on 24 ports), and through an external power supply you can provide additional power for up to 48 ports of 30W. The 440 runs the EXOS network operating system and can stack up to 8 units.

The 220 has 370W of PoE power, providing up to 24 ports of 15W (or 12 ports of 30W) on the 48 port model - while it supports a redudant power supply you cannot provide additive PoE power to these products. The 220 stacks up to 4 units, for a maximum of 192 ports in a stack. They run the FASTPATH network operating system, which has a different CLI interface from EXOS - still very feature capable.

I should not that in both cases the PoE power is "dynamic" - in that if a device only requires 7W then that additional power is available to other devices connected to the switch - so you are not specifically bound to 24 or 12 port or such - just using that as a statement of maximums.
GTM-P2G8KFN