Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing routing and switching configuration

Testing routing and switching configuration

Resolut1on
Contributor
Hi All,
I have a problem configuring distribution switch and core switch.

1. Our distribution is no assigned IP. only VLANS, working as a switch no routing.
2. Our core switch has assigned IP for all VLANS. How can I establish a connection from distribution to core through vlan? how can I know if my vlans are successfully transport without ip address in distribution. lastly is it possible to ping core to distribution in this set up? or laptop connected to distribution and ping the core?ping core and distribution not working without IP set up but our set up in distribution is only VLAN...IP's are in core.

Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5

Steve_Ballantyn
Contributor
Hello Newbie, it may help if you copy and paste the config of your core switch here, and tell us what the IP of your router is.

Resolut1on
Contributor
Exactly. You also explained it clearly. I tried your advise and it all works. I can now ping end devices and able to ping also the ip in in core.. Lastly my core must be connected to router/gateway. I created vlan and put static ip /30.core and router able to ping and see each other. But I have a problem. I think it is about routing protocol. Router is using RIP so I enable aslo my RIP and the vlan facing it. But the end devices cannot go up to the router.they stops in core. How can I solve this?thank you so much for your help

Steve_Ballantyn
Contributor
Hello Newbie. If I understand you correctly, your setup is a pretty standard one. You have a "core" switch that is at the heart of your operation which has VLAN's configured on it. Those VLAN's have IP addresses configured on them, and routing set up there.

Then you have a second "distribution" switch that you want to uplink to the core.

Getting these two to talk to each other is actually very simple. First - you would connect two ports together on these two devices. Leave that port on both devices in the "Default" VLAN, as untagged. On your distribution switch, create all the same VLAN's that are in use on your core switch (same tag numbers and same names). But do not put IP addresses on them at the distribution switch!

Then you need to tag the connecting ports between the two switches with all of the VLAN's that are in use at the distribution switch. The traffic will flow across that new pipe.

That's pretty much it. Now you can add devices to your distribution switch with whatever VLAN you want to use, with the port "untagged" for the chosen VLAN, and the traffic will carry over to your core. And you should be able to plug into any one of those ports on your distribution switch and ping the VLAN IP's on your core switch.

Resolut1on
Contributor
Thanks Drew
GTM-P2G8KFN