cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uplink / stacking link bandwidth of Summit X670-48x-FB switches

Uplink / stacking link bandwidth of Summit X670-48x-FB switches

Benjamin_Woenig
New Contributor II
I read through the Summit X670 product literature and specifications however it is not clear to me what the actual uplink / stacking link bandwidth is of the X670-48x-FB.

I am looking to deploy 5 separate "stacks' of X670-48x-FB switches which are separated by approximately 20-30m between each switch. The maximum stack size is 7 switches. I understand that ports 47 and 48 are the stacking ports, however can these ports be configured for 40Gbe or only 10Gbe on this particular model?

Is it correct that ports 45 and 46 are disabled when ports 47 and 48 are used to stack the switches together?

Lastly, are different SFPs (40Gbe?) required on ports 47 and 48 to stack the switches to leverage the maximum back plane bandwidth possible?

Thank you,
5 REPLIES 5

Benjamin_Woenig
New Contributor II
Hi Andre, Tony,

Many thanks for your feedback.

Taking this design a step further, I now need to incorporate an additional 8 rooms which will share 4x X670-48x-FB switches within the same rack. The distance between the main 20 "ring" of switches is far greater than 300m (the 10Gbe link length for OM3 fibre which is within the building), so I've specified an additional 2x X670-48x-FB switches to link the two locations together.

Further than this, the linking (or core switches, as I have labelled them) are each located in an individual communications room with independent power, network paths etc. In the event a comms room loses power or a core switch dies, then both sections will remain connected through the remaining operational switch.

My questions are:
  • How should the EAPS domain(s) be configured for this topology?
  • Can two separate "ring" networks be integrated together, as shown in the following diagram?
  • Can this topology handle multicast configuration as well?
If this topology is not suitable, what should be changed?

474c3a1505184969bea70174e5a53f11_RackMultipart20160804-23376-ewkdua-Multilevel_Switch_Topology_inline.jpg

Thank you for any further advice.

André_Herkenrat
Extreme Employee
The actual bandwith on a X670-48x is 10GE. There no Ethernet running on the Ports when you enable stacking, therefore you need a point to point connection between switches. That's also the reason why port 45 and 46 are disabled. You can use all standard SFP+ Optics (SR,LR,ER, no LRM) as well as DA-Cable up to 3m to connect the switches.

Hope this helps
André

I agree with Andre. If you do go with the Ring topology then EAPS makes a lot of sense. With EAPS could also deploy two separate EAPS domains - Each operating in a different direction (clockwise and counter clockwise) and selectively map individual VLANs to one of the EAPS domains. This way you can decide where to have the blocked link for each EAPS domain so that all links are carrying live traffic under normal forwarding conditions.

according to the old rule : Keep it simple ! I would recommend the ring-design.
With EAPS, you have a protocol that makes it really easy to configure and maintain the network. You just have to consider, that somewhere in the network a port is blocked. So you have to determine the most unlikely connection and block it.

GTM-P2G8KFN