Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vrrp announcements flooding

vrrp announcements flooding

Sergio_Galvez
New Contributor II
Hi experts,

I performed a tcp dump in a server of my current network and I'm getting lots of VRRP announcements in this vlan (where server belongs), This server is directly connected to the pair of Summit x460-48t where I have the VRRP configured.10.49.8.2 (Virtual IP .1) as Switch Master, behind this pair of Switches, I have another Extreme Switches with the same behavior and in the same vlan, where Switch Master 10.49.8.4 (Virtual IP.6) First question is if this is a normal behavior and if It's possible to eliminate this multicast flooding?

39631a0f37d240488426345dee206db3_RackMultipart20150901-30068-fznfs4-Capture_inline.png

The statistics below from the trace, I do not know if it's a normal rate time coming from the Vrrp since now VRRP mcast is close to the 70% of traffic captured on this trace. :S

39631a0f37d240488426345dee206db3_RackMultipart20150901-29152-flzbnu-Capture1_inline.png

6 REPLIES 6

Prashanth_KG
Extreme Employee
Hi Sergio,

As Bill stated, VRRP configuration and the topology could really help understand the network.
To answer your questions in general, since VRRP advertisements are sent to well known multicast group address, the switch by default would be flooding this packet to all the ports in the VLAN irrespective of the IGMP snooping.

So, seeing these advertisements on the server could be expected. Regarding the rate at which these are received, please check the VRRP advertisement interval in the configuration of the switches. By default, they are at 1 second interval. If it is set to less than that in milliseconds or centiseconds, we may see many advertisements from the VRRP master within a second.

Hope this helps!

Bill_Stritzinge
Extreme Employee
Can you please post your VRRP configuration? Are the VRID's the same? Can you give a quick diagram of the network?

Bill
GTM-P2G8KFN