cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We just search for SFP ports and SFP+ ports for Extreme switch , and is confused about the genuine one and third party one.

We just search for SFP ports and SFP+ ports for Extreme switch , and is confused about the genuine one and third party one.

Marie
New Contributor
We have Extreme device that need SFP's and SFP+'s, but we just confused about the genuine and third party one. Someone who manufacture the third party one has sent me free sample to test, and it works well.
So, the the genuine one or third party one?
10 REPLIES 10

Marie
New Contributor
I just have made a choice Extreme certified optics, thanks

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
It seems you're against purchasing the Extreme certified optics? Can I ask why?

EtherMAN
Contributor III
PS we buy 100 % Extreme optics for the last 2 years.

EtherMAN
Contributor III
I don't work for Extreme either and have been a customer for 20 years. Everyone knows that most switch and router vendors do not manufacture their own optics. They do though have very specific standards and eprom coding to match their hardware software in their systems. Third party optics vendors buy in bulk a programmable optics from various optics manufacturing companies. They may or may not be the exact same specs as what Extreme has asked for. They may or may not have programmed the eprom to be fully supporting of all the options and information the Extreme switch needs to be 100% exactly the same as the OAM optics. If you have found a vendor you trust and the price points are much better and the eprom and optics seem to be working for you then go for it. We have found there are minor differences in the grey market optics that make some of them unusable in our Metro network. This seems to be more problematic at the ten gig level and on the longer reach optics than at the one gig level. Good luck to you

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
If you have trouble with the 3rd party ones, GTAC will ask you to test with Extreme Networks branded SFPs. Talk with your sales team if pricing is a problem.
GTM-P2G8KFN