cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the most appropriate network design for this topology?

What is the most appropriate network design for this topology?

Ilya_Semenov
Contributor
Hello, everybody!

I have a task to totally redesign a huge network which consists of about 150 switches (old enterprise CISCOs). Everything is located at factory's territory. Take a look at the attached picture, this is a classic "star" topology. It's current topology.

The core of the network will be located in two separated DPC, there will be about 300 meters between them (Now it's two 6509 bounded by VSS in a same location).

I will replace all cores, distribution and 90% of access switches.

The main goal is to optimize bandwidth and increase redundancy and fail-tolerance to maximum level.

What is the most suitable topology for these goals?

Could Extreme offer something more than MLAG for core, stacks for distribution and LAGs everywhere?

I wonder how Extreme Fabric is suitable here, but there is no any success stories around...

cfe274d0c73c4e35bd91c05b96aae244_RackMultipart20170817-24417-trqivc-LogicalScheme_inline.jpg

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance,

Ilya
22 REPLIES 22

Arie_Stroobant
New Contributor
SPB "Great Succes"

Hello Arie

Thanks for your comment. 🙂

Bin
Extreme Employee
In SPB, Avaya (Now Extreme) added 3 defined TVLS allowing us to support virtual layer 3 networks and IP multicast streams.

Again, you could virtual layer 3 networks as very simple configuration and only need to configure one edge nodes (no need to touch core nodes).

Furthermore, SPB has one nice feature called Fabric Extend. By using Fabric Extend, we can stretch over IP routed campus networks or even provider networks such as MPLS VPN.

There is one URL to introduce Fabric Extend.
https://www.avaya.com/en/documents/avaya-fabric-extend-dn7706.pdf?t=0

Best regards,
Bin

Andre_Brits_Kan
Contributor II
Adding my thought to the discussion.

My background is around the Extreme S series and summit range.
For the normal enterprise network the edge vlan would get routed to the DC, why even look at a L2 service like Fabric or VPLS, Surely you can look at "Virtual Switch bonding" in the distribution and core with normal Lags between the Edge and VSB and then Advance edge on the edge summit switches.
This will give you HA and all likes being used.

I only see use for Fabric when you need to extend L2 services across a network.
I agree that this can replace a MPLS network.

The use cases is for extending L2 IoT services ect.

Your comments would be appreciated
GTM-P2G8KFN