cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the most appropriate network design for this topology?

What is the most appropriate network design for this topology?

Ilya_Semenov
Contributor
Hello, everybody!

I have a task to totally redesign a huge network which consists of about 150 switches (old enterprise CISCOs). Everything is located at factory's territory. Take a look at the attached picture, this is a classic "star" topology. It's current topology.

The core of the network will be located in two separated DPC, there will be about 300 meters between them (Now it's two 6509 bounded by VSS in a same location).

I will replace all cores, distribution and 90% of access switches.

The main goal is to optimize bandwidth and increase redundancy and fail-tolerance to maximum level.

What is the most suitable topology for these goals?

Could Extreme offer something more than MLAG for core, stacks for distribution and LAGs everywhere?

I wonder how Extreme Fabric is suitable here, but there is no any success stories around...

cfe274d0c73c4e35bd91c05b96aae244_RackMultipart20170817-24417-trqivc-LogicalScheme_inline.jpg

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance,

Ilya
22 REPLIES 22

Bin
Extreme Employee
Hello llya, How about SPB(Shorttest Path Bridging)?
SPB is the frabic networks from avaya. But it became to Extreme. SPB has a number of advantages over networking solution, in particular:
  • Very flexible : SPB can build any network topology, such as Star, Rings and Mesh, without worrying about loops.
  • Very scalable: SPB can scale to support hundreds of networks nodes.
  • Very secure: SPB can build secure network zone.
Plus, SPB is very simple.

Here is the short video about SPB.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7yn6YiwQ8Y

Best regards,
Bin

Nick_Yakimenko
New Contributor II
why should you change your current topology and devices? Why do you want to break what is working?

Hi, Nick!

I don't want to break it. Customer wants. I just want to replace switches to modern devices. May be, create MLAG between the cores + VRRP.

Customer wants kind of full mesh topology, where all links work simultaneously and very redundant. Now I am reading "Protected VPLS and H-VPLS with ERPS/EAPS Redundancy Overwiew"

GTM-P2G8KFN