Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workflow with interaction to load a file

Workflow with interaction to load a file

Miguel-Angel_RO
Valued Contributor II

Hi Guys,

Do you know if it is possible to make an interactive workflow where we can load a file available on my computer?

The purpose is to provide reference data to the workflow to provision static channels 2.4GHz/5GHz on APs.

The APs are adopted by an XCC and the XCC is integrated with XMC

Thanks

Mig

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Miguel-Angel_RO
Valued Contributor II

Stephan,

I was thinking on it  and the workflows are there for automation, meaning background task...so it shouldn’t be interactive.

I’ll use a python script for the interactivity, we can define variables and I will try with a cpoy/paste of the txt file in it.

Thanks

Mig

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

BeatriceFleming
New Contributor

An excellent suggestion!

Miguel-Angel_RO
Valued Contributor II

Stephan,

I was thinking on it  and the workflows are there for automation, meaning background task...so it shouldn’t be interactive.

I’ll use a python script for the interactivity, we can define variables and I will try with a cpoy/paste of the txt file in it.

Thanks

Mig

StephanH
Valued Contributor III

Hello, Mig,

another idea. If your customer has an FTP server, e.g. maybe directly on his PC, this would be a possibility. That could look like this.

9fcf72d332484dbfa074890f35ddfb26_41ddc72d-a4d8-4858-ae1a-a7fc19973935.png

I used "Script" as activity and not "Shell" because it makes it easier to handle variables. Of course you could also execute the command directly with the "Shell" activity. However, I don't know how to use variables here in an easiest way.

With the "Script" it is easy. So you can query the path, filename etc. from the user without problems as suggested above when starting the workflow. Of course you can also use any other transfer method (TFTP, SSH,...) that Linux offers.

Regards

Stephan

1. S. yes I know commands  is “deprecated” since version 2.6. But XMC uses a the quite old Jython, so it doesn’t matter ;-).
Regards Stephan

StephanH
Valued Contributor III

Hello Mig,

as far as I know there is no possibility to download a file from your PC. I would like that, too 🙂 (

I would have some use cases). As far as I know, you cannot make any manual changes in the workflow at runtime. 

Maybe one of the Extreme guys can tell us more.

You can pass parameters when starting the workflow, this can also be done via a "GUI" in which you can enter paths or make a selection from a dropdown defined in the workflow.

To bring the file to the workflow I see only three possibilities.

1. You use the HTTP-activity (own block directly in the workflow) to load a file from a webserver.
  2. You load the file directly into the XMC/Ubuntu file system (with WinSCP etc.)
  3. You have to put the file on some share and then mount this share to the filesystem of the Ubuntu under the XMC. This could even work with the parameter passing at the start of the workflow. For example, you ask the user for the IP, share name and password when starting the workflow, read the three values into variables and mount the share at runtime based on these data. But I have not tried this yet. But it would be exciting ;-).

Regards

Stephan

Regards Stephan
GTM-P2G8KFN