cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dragon EMS "dragon.db" files taking up space

Dragon EMS "dragon.db" files taking up space

dtitzer
New Contributor
A Dragon EMS server accumulates "dragon.db" files under the DB directory. What is the recommended practice for dealing with all these files? Is it worthwhile to archive them?
8 REPLIES 8

dtitzer
New Contributor
I can handle the script work. I do, though, want to keep this going to see if it's working to compress files. It will take a few days before it is supposed to start. I lowered the number of roll-overs to two.

Mullins__Keith
New Contributor
Hello, You are correct, the current utility does not have a 3-tier feature in the manner you are looking for. However, I will submit this feature to our product management group for consideration into a future revision of Dragon. A workaround, as you have mentioned, would be to create a script that could manipulate the logs in different 'tiers and have that script be called by the cron daemon.

dtitzer
New Contributor
Yes, this is what I was looking for. Unfortunately, it didn't appear to be working. My EMS server was set up to compress the data and maintain 4 rolled-over logs, but no compression was taking place. The DragonDB.log doesn't show any failures. What I really wanted to to was preserve a few logs, compress the rest, and delete them after a while. The policy doesn't appear to support a three-tier lifecycle. May need to script the clean-out myself.

Mullins__Keith
New Contributor
Hi, Thank you for posting. The dragon.db files contain the raw data of the events that occurred on that specific day. These files can also be used to repopulate the mysql database with event data. Within Dragon, there is a utility that can be used to archive or delete these files based on event age. Within Dragon v7.x, this utility is accessed through the Tools menu and is called 'Set Default Log Policy'. This will pop up a window that allows a user to define a specific event retention rate (in days), and whether to compress or delete these dragon.db files when this age is reached for that dragon.db file. For example, you can confirm this utility to compress all dragon.db files that are older than 30 days, or delete all dragon.db files older than 360 days, etc. This tool also exists in Dragon v8.x, under the 'Options --> Log/Data Policy' view in the web interface. This utility can also be used to manage the debug logs in the /opt/dragon/logs directory. This log archive/delete utility is documented in each versions Dragon Configuration Guide for your convenience as well. Is this the information you were looking for?
GTM-P2G8KFN