cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Lab for extreme networking

Home Lab for extreme networking

nola_saint
New Contributor
Home Lab for Extreme Networking. Would like to setup a lab to learn about Extreme networking. What switches are good to buy off ebay for a home lab. What switches would be good to learn layer 3 routing and intervlan routing and is there a free version of netsight.
12 REPLIES 12

Ronald_Dvorak
Honored Contributor
Do you work for a Extreme Partner because that would change the answers a bit.

@community
could you even generate/get a XMC trial license without being a partner ?! I can't remember 🙂

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
I'm pretty sure anyone can create a trial license as long as they have a portal account. Doesn't necessarily have to be a partner account.

Eric_Burke
New Contributor III
Try to stay away from the 430's too. They run SummitLite and you may be missing some features that you'll want to experiment with. As David said, 450's are cheap but 440's are likely a better choice.

David_Rahn
New Contributor

The VM is great for learning the command line. However there are some things that the VM lacks in... just the physical, how to do things, the process of upgrading a switch for a beginner, having the serial port, dealing with the boot rom, all good things for a learner to have hands on equipment.

to answer the OP, Find x440 x460 if you can , older x450s are a dime a dozen right now, but they are limited in software.( r 12 I think?) .. and of course stay away from any 200, 300 400 models ( they run EWARE not xos) stick with the 440/450/460 models. when you get to learning PIM and OSPF there is a trial license to enable the higher license of a 460 for some of those commands ( it is time limited and can only

Ralf
New Contributor II
I think you could also use the EXOS VM images. You don't need hardware switches for learning networking.

You can found them here: https://github.com/extremenetworks/Virtual_EXOS

Best Regards, Ralf
GTM-P2G8KFN