cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Show IP address of specific port

Show IP address of specific port

Ben_Kessell
New Contributor
I had a switch "dissapear" from our network but it is still plugged in to the appropriate port. In short, the switch on that port has an IP, internet connectivity and packets can move between our vlans but I cannot ping the switch or the devices it's connected to. If I know the port and MAC, how do I look up it's IP from inside the extreme switch?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

EtherMAN
Contributor III
let me see if we can get a couple of things defined. First on the 800 that "disappeared" how were you managing it? Did you have an ip on that switch you were polling? if so then what does the route look like between your monitoring system and the 800? It has to share an ip to another switch/router somewhere for you to be able to manage it in the first place. If you were managing it from the management only port then the port that is connected to should be in a common broadcast domain/vlan that goes to your router interface or management subnet.. You should be able to look at that arp table and confirm you have an arp entry for the ip of the 800... I dont see how you would not know the ip of a device that you had been monitoring.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

_up__bb_
New Contributor III
You can try to enable cdp (on enterasys i think is enabled by deafult) and lldp and if it is enabled on the remote device you can see some information about it.

I have a little experience with 800-Series, I can confirm that you won't be able to see their ip address from the other switches on the same network unless you enable LLDP on the 800-Series. You can do it through webview, under "L2 Features" you should find "LLDP Global Settings" or something similar, then set LLDP state to "enabled" and Apply. This applies to 08H20G4 but I think it's similar on all 800-Series switches.

EtherMan-Dupe
New Contributor
If the other switch is an Extreme and they have common layer 3 management vlan between them then a show edp port (connecting port ) detail will show you the ip address of connected Extreme switch. If you know the mac address of that switch then you can also go to another switch/router and use that mac to find the arp entry.

One thing we have seen happen on some of the older XOS switches is they will loose their management and stop replying to polls but continue to pass traffic... This usually is the beginning of the end... If that is the case a reboot may bring it back but you need to look at code rev and upgrade if it is out of date... good luck !

Might try 'show neighbors' or 'show arp'
Also if you have console running you can search in compass on that switch on and perhaps pick out the ip address there.

Sorry for all that then... I have 18 years being a purple user but zero on the E-800 series... If the switch that is not responding has to share a common subnet with something you can get to to see if there is an arp entry in the table for that mac address. If not it sounds like serial cable and console session time

GTM-P2G8KFN