cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port based rate limiting - Help!

Port based rate limiting - Help!

Jeremy_Homan
New Contributor
Im going to use a 440 as a "WAN" switch for 2 customers. Im going to have a 20Mbps wan connection terminate on the switch.

Client one gets 18.5Mbps and Client 2 gets 1.5Mbps.

I found this post on the forum;

https://community.extremenetworks.com/extreme/topics/how_do_i_configure_ingress_and_egress_rate_limi...

This is close to what I want I think, but, wont this give them 20Mbps down and 20Mbps up?

I don't want a client to have the potential to consume 40Mbps, cap them at 18.5Mbps in my case.

Thanks,

Jeremy

11 REPLIES 11

Darko_Kraus
New Contributor
Hello Paul,

I hate to bring up this old thread but I have a similar problem. What I am trying to accomplish is to limit the speed on some ports on Extreme Networks Switch x250 (running firmware version 15.1.4.3) to 5mbps egress and ingress. I am actually more concerned about egress (the speed of the packets leaving the switch and going toward the employee).

I have tried using rate-limit, but that seems to drop packets once the employee exceeds the bandwidth assigned. All ports are connected at 100mbps by default.

What would be the commands that I would have to use to accomplish this?

One of the examples would be the port number 8:

* SW_ITDEPT.29 # show qosprofile ports 8

Port: 8
QP1 MinBw = 0% MaxBw = 100% MaxBuf = 100%
QP8 MinBw = 0% MaxBw = 100% MaxBuf = 100%

I am not sure if the following commands would be appropriate:

configure qosprofile qp1 maxbw 5 ports 8

Thank You!!!

Paul_Russo
Extreme Employee
Hey

Sorry for the delay I have been traveling a lot. The best way to look at the commands is using the Command reference guide of of the Extreme website

Here's the command for setting a qosprofile as you can see you can set a committed rate and a peak rate

"configure qosprofile"
"BlackDiamond X8 series switches, BlackDiamond 8800 series switches, E4G-200 and E4G-400"
"switches, SummitStack, and Summit family switches:"

"configure qosprofile egress qosprofile [{minbw minbw_number} {maxbw maxbw_number}"
"| {peak_rate peak_bps [K | M]}] [ports [port_list | all]]"

"configure qosprofile qosprofile [{minbw minbw_number} {maxbw maxbw_number} |"
"{{committed_rate committed_bps [K | M]} {peak_rate peak_bps [K | M]} | [ports"
"[port_list | all]]"

"configure {qosprofile} qosprofile [[{maxbuffer buffer_percentage} {use-strict-"
"priority}] | [maxbuffer buffer_percentage ports [port_list | all]"

Hope that helps
P

Jeremy_Homan
New Contributor
Paul, would you have any documentation on the egress and max transit commands?

Jeremy_Homan
New Contributor
Makes sense!

How does one deal with bursty traffic then? IE; I want to allow them 1.5U/D usually, but will allow them to burst to 2Mbps. Would I just configure everything to 2Mbps? Is there a CIR and CBIR?
GTM-P2G8KFN