cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove primary iproute and inject secondary iproute when primary path is unavailable; then reverse when primary path is available

Remove primary iproute and inject secondary iproute when primary path is unavailable; then reverse when primary path is available

Jeff_McLeod
New Contributor
I'm trying to inject a static route 192.168.12.0/22 192.168.11.253 when gateway 192.168.8.12 fails. When 192.168.8.12 is once again available, I would like to remove the 192.168.12.0/22 192.168.11.253 route and replace it with 192.168.12.0/22 192.168.8.12. Both gateway devices are connected to my Summit L2/3 device 192.168.8.36/22. I've examined numerous documents; flow-redirect, IP SLA scripting, and route weighting. All of the knowledge base articles and user streams seem to have partial configs or the scripts are full of bugs\errors. I'm new to Extreme Networks, so my knowledge is a little lacking. I'm able to do this with my Cisco equipment using ip sla and tracking statements, but of course it's well documented in comparison to what I've found with Extreme Networks. I would appreciate any help. I'm looking for detailed configs and\or explanation.

Drowning,

Jeff

17 REPLIES 17

Patrick_Voss
Extreme Employee
Hi Jeff,

You can utilize flow-redirect to fit your scenario by adding in another next hop with a higher priority than your redundant path and configuring the ping feature to check the availability. An example configuration is below:

create flow-redirect test
configure flow-redirect test add nexthop 10.10.10.1 priority 200
configure flow-redirect test add nexthop 10.10.10.2 priority 100 (Primary route)
configure flow-redirect test nexthop 10.10.10.2 ping health-check interval 2

Try this and see if this does what you expect.

Also, I noticed that a comment was made on this article. Was this you? I just wanted to get some feedback into this article on how I can improve it. Considering I personally made the article I will revise it to add in this scenario so it can be used if needed.

I hope this helps!

Patrick

Jarek
New Contributor II
Jeff, You should check release notes pdf for that firmware. You must log in to extreme portal and there you can find firmware and docs. -- Jarek

Can someone confirm that the lower priority is the primary route (like in your example)?  I have documentation from my lab testing showing the other way around but since we’re working remotely my lab isn’t set to retest again and need to deploy flow redirect.

Hey Patrick. Thanks a bunch! Nothing was hitting the access-list. But I think the problem is the Virtual Image I was using. I swapped it out for the one with 15.7.x.x code and it all works! I can even see the access list getting hit. Now my question is: Will the 15.3.x.x code I'm using in my physical production area work? Or will it be non-functional like the virtual image. Where can I find a list of existing bugs for the EXOS I'm using?

Thanks again!!!!!!

GTM-P2G8KFN