2.4Ghz 802.11N devices only connect to far away AP330 rather than close AP230

andy_denley
New Contributor
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

bruce_stahlin
Contributor III

My first response would be to run them in Client Monitor and watch for any attempts to connect to the AP230.

I would also run a test by creating a new SSID with similar authentication and attributes, i.e. VLAN, etc, and broadcast it solely on the AP230 to see if they will connect. Again use Client Monitor to watch for the L2 interaction.

Best,

BJ

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

nlowe
New Contributor III

Hi Andy,

Can you be specific about which clients (make/model) are experiencing this?

Thanks,

Nick

bruce_stahlin
Contributor III

My first response would be to run them in Client Monitor and watch for any attempts to connect to the AP230.

I would also run a test by creating a new SSID with similar authentication and attributes, i.e. VLAN, etc, and broadcast it solely on the AP230 to see if they will connect. Again use Client Monitor to watch for the L2 interaction.

Best,

BJ

andy_denley
New Contributor

Hi there, 

In myhive I have two AP's, AP330 and AP230, all running the latest golden image on Myhive v8 and above 

Now I have some smart light bulbs (802.11GN 2.4Ghz) that ONLY want to connect to the AP330 which is further away from the AP230. For example there are 4 LIFX light bulbs which are ten feet from the AP230, but they only connect to the AP330 which is 50 feet away. And I get a poor signal on these devices and intermittent connection. 

I have configured the hive from scratch, I deleted the database and recreated my SSID's and everything is running default configurations. 

AP230: Image 8.2.r2

AP330: Image 6.5r9a

The SSID they connect to is running WPA/WAP2 Auto mode with Auto TKIP/AES encryption. 

I have no issues with 802.11ac devices connecting to the 5Ghz band. ANd I have no band steering as far as I can see. 

All radio profiles are default. 

Does anyone have any suggestions? 

Andy

GTM-P2G8KFN