cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chromebooks high latency and dropped connections

Chromebooks high latency and dropped connections

jmbmichael
New Contributor

We have noticed that all of our chromebooks are having connection issues. When pinging from a wired device all chromebooks have high ping rates and will randomly timeout. This is causing a major headache with online state testing as any kind of disruption in the connection causes the student to be kicked out of the test. This is only happening with chromebooks, windows laptops have perfect connections. After contacting aerohive for help numerous times over the past year all I ever get is they refer me to the chromebook guide which I have done all of that with no positive results. Is anyone else having these types of issues?

10 REPLIES 10

jmbmichael
New Contributor

CPU utilization looks good, that is the reason we are running the older releases on the 120 and 121. We upgraded a few to a 6.5 release and the cpu spiked so high that we couldn’t even ssh to them and aerohive recommended staying in these older releases. Can anyone confirm a safe firmware on these 2 APs? Switch ports are are all tagged with wifi vlans

dennisph
New Contributor III

Jason, I would probably run 8.2r6 on the AP230s and whatever 6.5r release they have for the AP121s but it does not sound like this is the problem. Is there any high cpu utilization on the Aerohive access point? are your switch ports access ports or trunk ports?

jmbmichael
New Contributor

Dennis, we are still using on on premise controller on v 8.2r2c with AP's running anywhere from 6.2r1c - 8.2r2 depending on model. Mostly 230's but still some 120 and 121's around but it doesn't seem to matter the model. Network is pretty basic, all Extreme switches with chromebooks on their own vlan and everything configured according to aerohive's chromebook guide. Congestion isn't an issue either, I'm testing now with literally only a dozen or so devices active across the network and the AP that I'm testing this on only has my test chromebook attached and ping rates are still 150-1000ms with random timeouts in the mix.

dennisph
New Contributor III

Tony, I did the same thing i blocked mDNS from the chromebooks so they could not update and communicate with each other. the chromebooks multicast a lot to each other.

tandrews
New Contributor

I would also add... have you disabled interstation traffic? How are you handling auto updates on the Google Admin side?

GTM-P2G8KFN