cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HiveManager Classic OnLine Upgrade!!

HiveManager Classic OnLine Upgrade!!

richard_jones2
New Contributor

We have firewalls in place, so the online instance changes to a new server and gets a new IP and Hostname?, when will we be notified of this? this is something we need as much heads up on as possible, to get all the necessary changes implemented in a timely manner, thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dsouri
Contributor III

Hi Richard,

The IP/Hostname won't be determined until the Upgrade is Complete. I'm not certain about email notifications for the auto-upgrade, as it hasn't started yet.

What I am certain about: if you upgrade manually, you'll know the new IP/Hostname first, as soon as the upgrade is complete (typically 30 minutes), then you can adjust the firewall.

Hope this helps, 

David Souri

HiveCommunity Moderator

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

richard_jones2
New Contributor
Hi David,

Thanks very much for that, that’s cleared that up.

The messages we received regarding the automatic upgrade mentioned further information nearer the time, I then wondered about our firewall rules, etc, and reading the forums managed to establish that there would be a change in IP and Hostname, so assumed that this was the information that would be available nearer the time and just wanted to get a heads up on it, obviously that’s not the case.

As long as I know now that’s great, I think then It’ll have to be an manual upgrade then.

Thanks again for the info.

Best regards,
Rich.

dsouri
Contributor III

Hi Richard,

The IP/Hostname won't be determined until the Upgrade is Complete. I'm not certain about email notifications for the auto-upgrade, as it hasn't started yet.

What I am certain about: if you upgrade manually, you'll know the new IP/Hostname first, as soon as the upgrade is complete (typically 30 minutes), then you can adjust the firewall.

Hope this helps, 

David Souri

HiveCommunity Moderator

richard_jones2
New Contributor
Hi,

This doesn’t really answer my question, as in what is the new IP and Hostname going to be?

Best regards,
Rich.

dsouri
Contributor III

Hello,

You always have the option to Upgrade ahead of the Auto-Upgrade date, from Home -> Administration -> Hivemanager Operations -> Upgrade Software

With any Hivemanager Software upgrade, the Hivemanager Classic instance will move to a new Server, and will have a new IP Address/Hostname.

In a network setup with "No firewall", the APs will reconnect to the new Hivemanager Classic Instance on it's new server.

If you have Firewall rules that Specifically allow Aerohive devices to communicate with HM-Classic, you may need to modify those rules to reflect the new IP/Hostname.

Here are the Services/Protocols/Ports that Aerohive devices and HM-Classic use:

https://docs.aerohive.com/330000/docs/help/english/8.2r2/hm/full/Content/ref/services.htm

The above information only applies to you as the Network Administrator.

End-Users with their Client-Devices won't notice the switch at all. This is due to our "Controller-Less" design, having configuration distributed on each Device.

It always good to send a Complete-Config Update to all Hive Connected devices after a Hivemanager upgrade.

Alternatively, if a reboot is not possible right away, a Delta-Configuration will suffice.

Finally, once HM-Classic is up to date, I would recommend starting the process of Updating firmware on all devices in the Hive.

I am also happy to answer any questions along the way,

Hope this helps,

David Souri

HiveCommunity Moderator

GTM-P2G8KFN