How do I move from Classic to NG ?

abeaudry1
New Contributor
How do I move from Classic to NG ?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

bear
New Contributor III

Here's a doc you definitely want:

http://docs.aerohive.com/330000/docs/guides/Aerohive_HiveManagerNG-Migration.pdf?_ga=2.234056670.1329224720.1526344440-454282283.1511914886

As someone currently migrating devices from Classic to NG, here's some "big picture" items - a 10,000 foot view - let's call this Things I Wish I'd Understood Better Beforehand:

1. Apparently, you can just go into to Classic's license key management interface, list all the keys you have in Classic, and go apply those same keys into NG; I copied my licenses into NG in about 30 seconds this way without involving support.
  2. You're basically just going to pretend like you're building your network from the ground up again, but in NG (so you're gonna want to go figure that out), then migrate the devices from Classic to NG one or more at a time.
  3. The summarized process of actually 'moving' a device to another HiveManager goes like this:
    1. Establish an SSH connection to the device + write down the IP address and HiveManager password to connect to it - this isn't required but you will kick yourself later when you mess up and you can't remember the device IP and it's not in HM because you just deleted it
    2. Write down the device serial number
    3. Change the CAPWAP redirector to redirector.aerohive.com, either via CLI (make sure to save changes) or via HiveManager+config push
    4. Once the configuration is committed to the device, schedule a reboot of the device for several minutes in the future, giving you time to do the next few steps BEFORE IT REBOOTS (<--- this part is important):
      1. Remove the device from HiveManager Classic by deleting it from the inventory
      2. Add the device to HiveManager NG using the serial number + network policy
      3. The device will boot up, contact redirector.aerohive.com, and be told to connect to HiveManager NG

Tips:

1. Create a device template for each type of device you have, before you get started. For example, the switch templates for my SR2324 and SR2348 switches specifies that the 4 10G ports have trunking enabled, STP is enabled, on all ports, and ports 1-24 (or 48) are end-user ports.
  2. application stop hiveagent + application start hiveagent are CLI commands (for Nimitz-based devices such as the SR23xx switches) that can restart the hivemanager agent running on the device - after being disconnected from the 'net for a few days, our HM agent gave up trying, and this reconnected it to the hive without restarting the switch.

For a clearer understanding of all the 'redirector' business, check out the last 2 pages of the PDF I linked above, it explains the various ways that Aerohive devices can locate their HiveManager;

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Unfortunately we don't have one specifically for an on premises migration, but I'll see if we can get one made for you. In the mean time, I would suggest following the HMNG on premises quick start guide, and then in the updated guide I posted above, skip step 1, then follow steps 2 and 3 as they should still apply to an on premises deployment.

reinhardg
Contributor II

Is there also a guide for migrating from HM-classic on-prem to HM(NG) on-prem?

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

We have an upgraded migration guide in case any one is interested- https://thehivecommunity.aerohive.com/s/article/HiveManager-Classic-to-HiveManager-Migration-Guide

@Zak Emerick​ , what model devices are you importing?

zak1
New Contributor

Having issues as well. The device import fails with generic failure. "Error 3: Failed due to an internal system database error."

GTM-P2G8KFN