cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get Aerohive switch VLAN's connect to Cisco VLAN's?

How to get Aerohive switch VLAN's connect to Cisco VLAN's?

AnonymousM
Valued Contributor II

I’m trying to get my Aerohive switches (SR2148, SR2324, SR2348) to connect via VLAN to my Cisco switches VLAN’s. I’ve had help on how to tag a VLAN on the Aerohive switches and the switch shows that the ports are tagged for the appropriate VLAN. But the issue is that the VLAN on the Aerohive switches don’t connect to the VLAN’s on my Cisco switches. Because of this the AP’s aren’t able to pick up an IP address from the DHCP server for the appropriate VLAN. The only way to get the Aerohive switches and AP’s to communicate on the proper Cisco VLAN is for me to configure the Cisco port in which the Aerohive switch connects to the Cisco switches with the proper VLAN. The problem with this is that if I connect any device to the Aerohive switches is will only be able to access the configured VLAN; which is only used for Wi-Fi. I need to be able to connect different devices to the Aerohive switches that connect to different VLAN’s and I can’t do this currently.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dsouri
Contributor III

Hello,

As a general answer, I will have to make some assumptions about the back-end network, but I hope this example will help.

Assumptions:

vLAN 1 = Native

vLAN 5 = Hive Management

vLAN 10 = Guest-Wireless-Internet-Only

vLAN 15 = Employee Internet & Local Access

• No other vLANs are used.
  • Nothing uses the Native vLAN.
  • The existing network only contains Non-Aerohive Switches so far.

Our objective is to add an Aerohive Switch to the network. We will use the Aerohive-Switch port 10 to uplink to the Non-Aerohive Switch port 20.

Each port should share the same Native and Allowed vLANs.

Aerohive Switch port 10:

Native = 1

Allowed = 5, 10, 15

Up-Stream Non-Aerohive Switch port 20:

Native = 1

Allowed = 5, 10, 15

This setup allows tagging of the appropriate vLANs from the Aerohive Switch, to the Up-Stream Switch.

Every other port on the Aerohive Switch in the example above will have to be configured for whichever vLAN it requires.

Examples:

Ports for Hardwired Employee Workstations can be configured as Access Ports for vLAN 15 from the above Assumptions.

Ports that AP's Connect to will need to be configured like this:

Native = 1 (Untagged traffic)

Allowed = 5, 10 (5 for Hive Management traffic, 10 for the Guest wifi clients)

I hope this helps,

David Souri

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

dsouri
Contributor III

Hello,

As a general answer, I will have to make some assumptions about the back-end network, but I hope this example will help.

Assumptions:

vLAN 1 = Native

vLAN 5 = Hive Management

vLAN 10 = Guest-Wireless-Internet-Only

vLAN 15 = Employee Internet & Local Access

• No other vLANs are used.
  • Nothing uses the Native vLAN.
  • The existing network only contains Non-Aerohive Switches so far.

Our objective is to add an Aerohive Switch to the network. We will use the Aerohive-Switch port 10 to uplink to the Non-Aerohive Switch port 20.

Each port should share the same Native and Allowed vLANs.

Aerohive Switch port 10:

Native = 1

Allowed = 5, 10, 15

Up-Stream Non-Aerohive Switch port 20:

Native = 1

Allowed = 5, 10, 15

This setup allows tagging of the appropriate vLANs from the Aerohive Switch, to the Up-Stream Switch.

Every other port on the Aerohive Switch in the example above will have to be configured for whichever vLAN it requires.

Examples:

Ports for Hardwired Employee Workstations can be configured as Access Ports for vLAN 15 from the above Assumptions.

Ports that AP's Connect to will need to be configured like this:

Native = 1 (Untagged traffic)

Allowed = 5, 10 (5 for Hive Management traffic, 10 for the Guest wifi clients)

I hope this helps,

David Souri

GTM-P2G8KFN