cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make an Unconfigured AP Configured?

How to make an Unconfigured AP Configured?

pete_witt
New Contributor

Hello,

We've ~260 APs - mostly 121s, some 130s - roughly half of which are marked 'Unconfigured' (I think following a license expiry, since resolved).

I've attempted to Update (some, not all, APs) - hoping HiveManger would recognise them as now 'Configured' - but this fails:

Update Device result: 'Upload Configuration: Because the device is currently disconnected, Upload is Staged and will resume after the device reconnects'

Update Device, complete config: after a reboot, result is 'the Configuration has been rolled back'

The following method works (only tested on 1 AP) but is very time-consuming (especially for ~130 devices:

Remove from inventory (note Serial Number, etc)

Add to inventory (paste S/N)

Modify (to use our Network profile)

Update

... AP successfully moved from Unconfigured to Configured section. [Of course, as the AP is rebooted, this incurs down-time].

Any help / better way of doing this would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Pete

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dsouri
Contributor III

Hi Pete!

HiveOS 6.5r7.160188, same as AP121s that appear in the 'Configured Devices' section. Yes, HiveOS upgrade works.

Aside: we're running HiveManager Enterprise 6.8r7a & have 8.0r1, 8.1r2 & 8.2r1 available [I appreciate whether to upgrade is off-topic!]

> It's not off-topic at all, in fact, I would strongly recommend upgrading Hivemanager Software to 8.2r1 before moving forward.

> I would then advise upgrading the HiveOS on each model of AP to it's 'Golden' or 'Feature' release. This matrix is accurate as of Today:

c98a31c1d06d469087df1859efd82b85_0690c000006V5BnAAK.png

> Are you using Hivemanager Online? If so, have you had an opportunity to consider migrating to Hivemanager NG? 30-Day Evaluation available at Cloud.Aerohive.com

Having only done a few, the current one is refusing to configure correctly:

Basically, the AP should have mgmt VLAN info and Staff & Guest VLANs controlling LAN & internet access - this AP doesn't

Currently investigating: issue seems related to a 'Device Classification' tag setting - though this has applied OK on a similar AP. Switch port VLAN assignments are correct.

> I'd ask that you address this AP after the Hivemanager and HiveOS upgrades.

Happy to help,

David

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

dsouri
Contributor III

Hi Pete!

HiveOS 6.5r7.160188, same as AP121s that appear in the 'Configured Devices' section. Yes, HiveOS upgrade works.

Aside: we're running HiveManager Enterprise 6.8r7a & have 8.0r1, 8.1r2 & 8.2r1 available [I appreciate whether to upgrade is off-topic!]

> It's not off-topic at all, in fact, I would strongly recommend upgrading Hivemanager Software to 8.2r1 before moving forward.

> I would then advise upgrading the HiveOS on each model of AP to it's 'Golden' or 'Feature' release. This matrix is accurate as of Today:

c98a31c1d06d469087df1859efd82b85_0690c000006V5BnAAK.png

> Are you using Hivemanager Online? If so, have you had an opportunity to consider migrating to Hivemanager NG? 30-Day Evaluation available at Cloud.Aerohive.com

Basically, the AP should have mgmt VLAN info and Staff & Guest VLANs controlling LAN & internet access - this AP doesn't

Currently investigating: issue seems related to a 'Device Classification' tag setting - though this has applied OK on a similar AP. Switch port VLAN assignments are correct.

> I'd ask that you address this AP after the Hivemanager and HiveOS upgrades.

Happy to help,

David

pete_witt
New Contributor

Hello David,

Thanks for your advice & apologies for the delay in response.

> Could you advise if on the Monitor Tab of NG, the APs in question show Green or Red Status Icon before attempting the Delta or Complete Update?

Green status for Alarm & Connection columns

> You mentioned three AP Models, could you clarify if this issue is unique to one of them or happening no matter which model?

We've 2x model types: only the AP121s are in the 'Unconfigured Devices' section.

> Then, could you see which HiveOS is on the APs? Are you able to push a HiveOS Upgrade to the APs?

> Since the method you described of removing/adding to inventory seemed to work, maybe this method will work as well?

> From the Monitor Tab, Check the box next to the one of the APs, then click the 'Utilities' button, then 'Reset Device to Default'.

Thanks, that seems a better option. Just need to note relevant info (Hostname, Location, etc.) before defaulting. As mentioned, I've ~130 APs to reconfigure which'll be laborious...

Regards,

Pete.

dsouri
Contributor III

Hello,

Could you advise if on the Monitor Tab of NG, the APs in question show Green or Red Status Icon before attempting the Delta or Complete Update?

You mentioned three AP Models, could you clarify if this issue is unique to one of them or happening no matter which model?

Then, could you see which HiveOS is on the APs? Are you able to push a HiveOS Upgrade to the APs?

Since the method you described of removing/adding to inventory seemed to work, maybe this method will work as well? From the Monitor Tab, Check the box next to the one of the APs, then click the 'Utilities' button, then 'Reset Device to Default'. With the exception of Removing the Device from inventory, this should cause the AP to reset, Reboot, establish CAPWAP, and be ready for Config.

Hope this helps,

David Souri

GTM-P2G8KFN