cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to manage too many users connected to a single AP? Can I redistribute them manually? Any options?

How to manage too many users connected to a single AP? Can I redistribute them manually? Any options?

stephanie_deren
New Contributor
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

bruce_stahlin
Contributor III

Sam is correct. Another possibility, if you have enough APs to cover the area, is to reduce the max transmit power on the radios. This works particularly well if you have 2.4 GHz clients, you can reduce the max power on the 2.4 radio, more closely matching the coverage of the 5 GHz radio. Client roaming thresholds should get tripped to connect to another AP.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

bruce_stahlin
Contributor III

Sam is correct. Another possibility, if you have enough APs to cover the area, is to reduce the max transmit power on the radios. This works particularly well if you have 2.4 GHz clients, you can reduce the max power on the 2.4 radio, more closely matching the coverage of the 5 GHz radio. Client roaming thresholds should get tripped to connect to another AP.

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Ultimately it is a client side decision as to what AP it connects to. You can do things like disable lower data rates to require a stronger connection to the AP, which should prevent clients farther away from connecting when they have an AP that is closer to them. If the APs are all in the same 4 walls you can enable load balancing in the Radio Profile, but this doesn't work very well if the APs are in different rooms. Each radio can hold up to 100 clients, so for most APs with two radios this means one AP can host 200 clients.

GTM-P2G8KFN