cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am interested in possibly setting up a radius server. however, I am still fairly new to this and I will offer what I hope is the relevant info to get an informed answer.

I am interested in possibly setting up a radius server. however, I am still fairly new to this and I will offer what I hope is the relevant info to get an informed answer.

AnonymousM
Valued Contributor II

We currently have 10 schools in our division that each have their own file/DHCP Server with miltiple AP's. We are using the same two SSID's (one for Staff with network resources available and one for Student with internet access only) across all locations so any staff member from any location will be able to connect to the wireless network anywhere within our organization. Currently, we are using WPA/WPA2 PSK (Personal) with a passphrase that has been shared with students or students have been able to get it from their teachers device. Regardless, we are now considering setting up a Radius Server, and I am looking for some basic info to justify selling this to my boss, but I am also in need of some guidance as to how this can be set up and deployed across multiple locations. Will I need to configure an AP to act as a Radius Server at each location (subnet)? or will I hav e to maybe configure multiple AP's to act as Radius Servers at each location if there is a chance of say 300 + connected devices at any time? Where is a good place to start with this project? We currently have just over 100 AeroHive AP's.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

My apologies, you're using HiveManager Classic. This guide reviews how to set up Radius on an AP in Classic: https://thehivecommunity.aerohive.com/s/article/Radius-Server-hosted-on-an-AP

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

AnonymousM
Valued Contributor II

I thank you for your assistance today. I will have to revert back to our default Network Policy for now and get back to this another day. Have a great weekend.

AnonymousM
Valued Contributor II

I started the monitor a while ago. In the Client Monitor Window where I added the new Monitor, when I click on the MAC Address of the AP, it was still showing this message after 20+ minutes:

The client monitor has been initiated. Waiting for a report of status/log messages...

This hasn't changed and nothing appears in the box below where I suspect the logs should appear.

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

It won't hurt anything to run it on an AP that isn't the Radius server, we just need to run it on the AP the client is connecting to and that AP will reach out to the Radius Server AP for us.

AnonymousM
Valued Contributor II

My bad. I will run it again on the AP nearest to me, which I am attempting to connect to. This is however not the Radius Server AP. Will that make a difference?

GTM-P2G8KFN