cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instructions to upgrade HiveManager Enterprise 6.8r7a to the latest

Instructions to upgrade HiveManager Enterprise 6.8r7a to the latest

ashahinfarid
New Contributor

We are running HiveManager Enterprise 6.8r7r on our on-premise and going to update it to the latest available firmware. What are the steps need to be taken? We have AP230, AP245X, AP250, AP320 and AP330 all on the latest golden firmware. Does the new HiveManger build support all of these APs?

10 REPLIES 10

ashahinfarid
New Contributor

Just a quick update on the issue that we're experiencing here!

I wasn't able to fix the physical appliance issue and it's still down, however I managed to use an imaged backup from other Virtual Hivemanager that we had and created a new VM for our office. We had some licensing issues since they're already on physical appliance and we needed to move them to the VM and also remove the existing license on restored VM where we had Backup from, since you cannot have the same licenses on multiple device. That part is fixed.... BUT....

When I tried to restore the full backup file that I had from our 6.8r7 to 8.2r2 it didn't work!

No errors or any other messages and it's just spinning when I uploaded the backup file and after that I'm not seeing any of our configuration that we had on physical appliance (SSIDs, Profiles, Policy etc.) NOTHING...

After talking to Aerohive technician, they told me backup file is not supported! I will need to setup an older version of Hivemanager (didn't say what version) and restore configuration there and from there create another backup and then restore the new backup to 8.2r2 to see IF that works!!!

I asked them to do that for us and the ticket assigned to higher support level and they will contact me to have this done or they might have a different solutions...

Arash

ashahinfarid
New Contributor

Thanks Brian!

The appliance has 2 ports (RJ45) MGM and LAN on the front + USB and Serial ports. I have tries to power it off and nothing shows on PuTTY session. I believe I have the serial connection settings the same as you mentioned in your message. I'm going to setup a VM an restore my backup to have my HiveManager up and running for now while I'm working on physical appliance fix.

AnonymousM
Valued Contributor II

Arash,

Do you know when you all purchased that 1U HM appliance? The really old ones had to have a RAM upgrade to be able to run newer HM OS. We're talking like 7+ years old 1U HM appliance though. Does yours have 6 ethernet ports on the front or 1/2? The High Capacity 1U HM should have 6 and not need a RAM upgrade. I also cannot find the docs that state the HM version that needed additional RAM.

If you power off the HM (assume there may be some risk there - but if it's not working at present, your options are limited) and power it back on with the console cable still connected, does your session show the box booting up?

The serial connection settings are 9600 bps, 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit and no flow control (just for your reference).

ashahinfarid
New Contributor

Updates:

I have purchased DB9 FF cable and have a laptop with Serial(COM) port connected to the appliance directly with no luck!

With PuTTY default settings and DB9 cable connected to HiveManager,, it doesn't prompt/show any session in PuTTY, it's just black screen with no ability to enter anything.

I've contacted AeroHive support again and after being on the phone for about half an hour and provide the appliance picture they advise to replace Memory Module. I'm not sure if replacing the module will fix it or now since we're not able to confirm what the issue is?

Just as an FYI, this was working with no issues till we decided to upgrade the firmware.

I will ask AeroHive to confirm that replacing the memory will fix it and if it's a known issue?

I'm wondering if anybody else experienced the same issue with physical HiveManager appliance?

Cheers,

Arash

GTM-P2G8KFN