cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-SAN on-prem Aerohive NG hardware requirement. How did you implement?

Non-SAN on-prem Aerohive NG hardware requirement. How did you implement?

k_berrien
New Contributor

After moving from Classic to NG in our on-prem environment (about a month ago), we started seeing issues. Unable to push out configs, error in data reporting (# of clients connected, etc), a call to support brought up an obscure and rare hardware requirement for NG on prem. No SAN support, must be a directly connected drive, preferably SSD.

I have skepticism from my colleagues, this is a highly rare request for a VM environment in our experience. How did any of you else address this specifically?

thanks,

21 REPLIES 21

k_berrien
New Contributor

Jesse, I'll keep you in mind if we end up at a resolution (or not). We're in day 1 of this. We recently sent staff to Aerohive training where it was all NG and a big push to migrate from classic. No mention of this obscure requirement, and since we're new to NG I don't know if the requirement was recently added.

Our virtual environment (Nutanix) will not support directly connected drives, and as they stated, it defeats the entire point of virtualization. We could force it to live fully on SSD (at a license cost), but that still violates the Aerohive requirements.

For the record, we're on 12.8.3.3-NGVAFEB19, running within vmware, 600 APs, for the past month since we moved from classic, and I spiked it up to 32 gigs / 8 cores yesterday (the 5000 AP requirement) to see what would happen. Cloud NG has all that big data & machine learning stuff, I'm not sure how much of that is in on-prem - but I'd happily give up the highly detailed reporting and such in exchange for a reliably functional management and basic status information. We never used the reports/dashboard anyways as we're govt/edu and don't have the staff or time to take advantage of it.

At present, we're getting into it with Aerohive at a level above support.

But please, again to all... if anyone has found a resolution please let us both know your details.

j_cross
New Contributor

We are in the same boat. We didn't have any issues until 19.5.1.7, and I do not think they had the SAN requirement until recently. Currently we seem to be SOL since aerohive wont support their product, we have no local disk to even test if it would resolve the issues we are seeing. My feeling is this requirement is absolutely ridiculous with virtualization. I would very much like to know how you solve this issue because we are ready to dump aerohive over this.

GTM-P2G8KFN