Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPSK and Selfregistration / users assignement

PPSK and Selfregistration / users assignement

pagella
New Contributor III

Hi there,

im not sure if its possible what i would like to do but ill just ask.

One SSID with multiple Passwords

based on the password OR based on the user group (but i would need an automatism that puts users with a certain email address in a specific group didnt find this option ) the user gets a specific VLAN 

After the user is able to connect to the ssid, the users needs to sign up to gain access to the internet

Is that possible?

i found something similar but with one Open SSIDs i would rather have one SSID. I also dont like the fact that everybody is in the same VLAN by Default.

https://thehivecommunity.aerohive.com/s/article/Self-Registration-PPSK-SSID-in-Hivemanager

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

pagella
New Contributor III

Support could help out.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

pagella
New Contributor III

Yes thanks for the quick answer. I did configure the setup with one open SSID.

I can register users and all but as soon as i want to connect to the secured SSID it tells me that the authentification failed the Password is wrong. The user is approved and is in a group that is assigned to that SSID Captive Portal and all. I did it like the in the FAQ. Any idea what could cause that?

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Our Self Registration set up does require one Open SSID (for clients to connect to while they register) and one PPSK SSID (for clients to connect to once they've received their credentials). However, to get to the set up you are proposing here, I think you might do better with a normal PPSK set up instead.

If you set up a PPSK SSID, you can create different user groups for different users. Once you've created all your users, you can create the PPSK SSID and apply different user profiles to different users based on assignment rules. When you make the assignment rule, you can choose User Group as the classifying criteria. So you can say users in User Group A go on VLAN A with permission set A, while users in User Group B get on VLAN B with permission set B, etc. This is all set up ahead of time, so once you deploy you don't have to do anything else to classify users on to the correct VLANs, and all users connect to the same SSID with their own individual passwords.

Unfortunately there is no way to have them register after they connect. The closest we can get to that is to have them read and consent to a user policy agreement via a CWP after they connect and before they can browse. The only ways to have users sign up for connection is self registration (with 2 SSIDs), or a CWP using social login (not an option with a PPSK SSID, you'd have to use an Open SSID for this).

Does that answer your question? Is there anything I can clarify?

GTM-P2G8KFN