cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rate control now per client in NG instead of per user?

Rate control now per client in NG instead of per user?

malcolm_snelgro
New Contributor III

Hi,

I only just noticed in the Rate Control screen in NG (Configure-Common Objects-User Profile-QoS) the button reads "Manage Rate Limit per client". In the original Hive Manager the rate control in the similar screen was "per User". I am assuming that client means "a client device", as it does in the rest of the Hive Manager.

Just wanted to check that this is a change and not a mistake in the interface. We found the ability to limit bandwidth per user useful, instead of the per device/IP rate limiting that our firewall offers.

Regards,

Malcolm Snelgrove

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dsouri
Contributor III

Hi @Malcolm Snelgrove​ ,

To make sure I was providing the best information, I confirmed with peers and upper-tier engineers.

Although the language is different between Classic and NG,

Classic's "Per User Rate Limits"

and Hivemanager's (formerly NG) "Rate Limit Per Client"

both function as "Per Client Device within the User-Profile".

The language was corrected from Classic to Hivemanager to use the term 'Client' when referring to 'Client Devices'.

I think if I am missing something here, it's because I don't know what kind of Authentication/User-Management & SSID you have deployed.

Could you advise what kind of Authentication you have on the SSID? And does each user have their own Credentials? If so, is this done with PPSK or RADIUS?

Happy to assist,

David Souri

HiveCommunity Moderator

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

ivanmuccini
New Contributor

We are managing a similar setup, using individual PPKSs for each student in a dormitory. Ideally, we'd like to set a max bandwidth per user (student) and not individually for each of his connected clients.

In other words, we'd like to specify that a student can get max 50 Mbps across all his connected devices. I the student has 5 connected clients all doing a speed test the sum of all "speed" should be capped to 50 Mbps (ideally the traffic should be around 10 Mbps per client, but the actual distribution doesn't matter)

Is there a way to achieve this?

malcolm_snelgro
New Contributor III

Hi David,

I tested today with two devices on the same AP and User, with a User Profile that limited the rate "per client" to a low value using a speedtest web site. While the rate reported was always higher (which I have noticed before, ie 10Mbps limit measures at 17Mbps download) the rates were consistent and the same regardless if there was another device doing the speed test at the same time.

So yes, the rate limiting is per client device and it most likely was before under the Original Hive Manager.

I was just mistaken with what I saw at the time and mislead by the old terminology "per User" which as you said was a mistake in the old version.

Thank you for your help in clearing that up!

Regards,

Malcolm

malcolm_snelgro
New Contributor III

Hi David,

That's what I have seen in the past, though I haven't tested it lately. I am not at the client location that often, but I will try to do a test this week.

Regards,

Malcolm

dsouri
Contributor III

Hi Malcolm,

So, in a test, with 2 Client-Devices of a User-Profile connected to the Same AP at the Same time, with a speed-test done on each, would download "As Fast As Possible", and will start being rate-limited around the "Rate Limit Per Client".

Based on the info you provided, if 20 End-Users are associated to a User-Profile, and they can each have 5 devices:

Assuming all 20 Users have 5 Devices connected at the same time:

Each Device should reach the "Rate Limit Per Client"

As long as the "cumulative, concurrent traffic of all the members" does not exceed the "Rate Limit per user Profile"

[Source]: https://docs.aerohive.com/330000/docs/help/english/ng/Content/gui/configuration/managing-rate-control-settings.htm

I hope this helps,

I'm always happy to assist,

David Souri

HiveCommunity Moderator

GTM-P2G8KFN