cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rate control now per client in NG instead of per user?

Rate control now per client in NG instead of per user?

malcolm_snelgro
New Contributor III

Hi,

I only just noticed in the Rate Control screen in NG (Configure-Common Objects-User Profile-QoS) the button reads "Manage Rate Limit per client". In the original Hive Manager the rate control in the similar screen was "per User". I am assuming that client means "a client device", as it does in the rest of the Hive Manager.

Just wanted to check that this is a change and not a mistake in the interface. We found the ability to limit bandwidth per user useful, instead of the per device/IP rate limiting that our firewall offers.

Regards,

Malcolm Snelgrove

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dsouri
Contributor III

Hi @Malcolm Snelgrove​ ,

To make sure I was providing the best information, I confirmed with peers and upper-tier engineers.

Although the language is different between Classic and NG,

Classic's "Per User Rate Limits"

and Hivemanager's (formerly NG) "Rate Limit Per Client"

both function as "Per Client Device within the User-Profile".

The language was corrected from Classic to Hivemanager to use the term 'Client' when referring to 'Client Devices'.

I think if I am missing something here, it's because I don't know what kind of Authentication/User-Management & SSID you have deployed.

Could you advise what kind of Authentication you have on the SSID? And does each user have their own Credentials? If so, is this done with PPSK or RADIUS?

Happy to assist,

David Souri

HiveCommunity Moderator

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

malcolm_snelgro
New Contributor III

Hi David,

OK, so if I understand you correctly, the Rate limit is and always has been per client device, at least in some situations.

Our situation is we have 200 residential students in User groups and User profiles of about 20 students each. We are using PPSK, each student gets their own passphrase for the wifi network, and they are allow a maximum of 5 devices per the network policy.

Previous testing with speed test website and monitoring of actual usage seemed to show that the rate limit was per User, but we might have been mistaken. So with our situation, if we do a speed test on two different client devices using the same PPSK passphrase (same User, same Profile, same AP), they should reach the same rate limit (all other things being equal)?

Regards,

Malcolm

dsouri
Contributor III

Hi @Malcolm Snelgrove​ ,

To make sure I was providing the best information, I confirmed with peers and upper-tier engineers.

Although the language is different between Classic and NG,

Classic's "Per User Rate Limits"

and Hivemanager's (formerly NG) "Rate Limit Per Client"

both function as "Per Client Device within the User-Profile".

The language was corrected from Classic to Hivemanager to use the term 'Client' when referring to 'Client Devices'.

I think if I am missing something here, it's because I don't know what kind of Authentication/User-Management & SSID you have deployed.

Could you advise what kind of Authentication you have on the SSID? And does each user have their own Credentials? If so, is this done with PPSK or RADIUS?

Happy to assist,

David Souri

HiveCommunity Moderator

malcolm_snelgro
New Contributor III

Hi David,

So is it per User Profile or per User?

malcolm_snelgro
New Contributor III

Aerohive NG rate limit screen

malcolm_snelgro
New Contributor III