cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weak Signal Probe Request Suppression does not work?

Weak Signal Probe Request Suppression does not work?

andreas_brueck
New Contributor

Hello everybody,

we have some trouble with sticky clients which does not roam to a better access point. Because of that i activated the option Weak Signal Probe Request Suppression for my 2,4 and 5 Ghz radio profiles.

9ffb88d560764aefb147709b72142031_0694Q000009Hx04QAC.png

After that i did a complete configuration update on all access points. Two days later i checked the connected clients for some access points and i found clients with really poor SNR values.

Weak-SNR-01 How is it possible? Is it correct that clients with a poor SNR still will be connected to an not optimal access point? Maybe i don't understand this option correctly.

We are using the on-premises Hivemanager NG (build version 19.5.1.7-NGVA ) and a lot of AP230 (HiveOS 10.0r5 build-228634 ).

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Andreas Brück

12 REPLIES 12

andreas_brueck
New Contributor

Shame on me, normaly i take a look on the help page before i ask any questions. Thank you very much for your help.

bpowers
Contributor

The below is from the help file. To me this is a configurable parameter when Layer 3 roaming comes into play. To optimize and/or speed up roaming of Layer 3 (IP) boundaries. And not necessarily relevant to your current issue.

From the help file:

In the Roaming Configuration section, you can define the hive members to which you want other hive members to send Layer 3 roaming-related information (Included Neighbors) and those to which you do not want APs to send such information (Excluded Neighbors). Note that included and excluded neighboring hive members must have static IP addresses for this feature to work properly.

Roaming Threshold

Set the volume of traffic that the selected neighbors will accept through GRE (Generic Routing Encapsulation) tunnels to support Layer 3 roaming. This option gives hive members the ability to push tunnels to other members for better tunnel load balancing. For example, if one AP near an entrance gets overloaded with tunnels, you can lower its threshold to medium or low so that more tunnels terminate on other APs.

• This setting only takes effect when the APs function as portals and Layer 3 roaming is enabled.

From the Tunnel Threshold drop-down list, choose a level determining the amount of traffic that the selected APs will accept through GRE tunnels. To accept a relatively low number of tunnels, choose Low. To accept a relatively moderate number of tunnels, choose Medium. To accept a relatively high number of tunnels, choose High. The default setting is High.

Included Neighbors

Because basic hive communications occur within a Layer 2 broadcast domain, to span subnets, at least one hivemember in each subnet must be able to detect another member in the other subnet. If hive members in different subnets are within radio range from each other, they can discover each other automatically. If hive members in different subnets are out of radio range from each other, you can define them as neighbors to each other. A hivemember defined as a neighbor exchanges roaming cache information with all hive members outside its subnet. Wireless clients can then roam between the defined neighbor and any hive member in the other subnet.

• APs that you want to include or exclude as neighbors for Layer 3 roaming must have static IP addresses.

To add an AP in the list of included neighbors, select the AP name in the Available Neighbors column, and then click the right arrow ( > ) to move it to the Selected Neighbors column. Repeat this to add more neighbors. You can add up to 32 neighbors.

To remove an AP name from the Included Neighbors list, select the AP name in the Selected Neighbors column, and then click the left arrow ( < ) to move it back to the Available Neighbors column. 

• You can select multiple APs by SHIFT-clicking to select multiple contiguous items and CTRL-clicking to select multiple noncontiguous items. You can also move all the APs from one column to the other by clicking >> and <<.

Excluded Neighbors

There might be a case where you do not want a hive member to exchange roaming cache information with other members in a different subnet. If so, add them to this list. Even if the excluded neighbor is within range of another hivemember in a different subnet, they will not exchange roaming caches.

To add an AP to the list of excluded neighbors or remove it from the list, follow the same procedure explained above for adding and removing included neighbors.

andreas_brueck
New Contributor

The most of the use the maximum of 20 dBm. Ok, i think i will try to reduce the transmit power by 1 dBm step by step. But i hope that the coverage is high enough at our campus. Thank you very much for your help.

Brian, what do you know about the option "roaming threshold" in the fourth picture?

bpowers
Contributor

While those are about as high as they can be set, what are the APs actually running at? You can add a column to your UI view to show their channels and the currently set power. Decreasing power is probably the simplest way to force clients to roam as if they cant hear the AP they're connected to in a given area, they'll surely roam to a stronger AP.

GTM-P2G8KFN