Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firmware Update process

Firmware Update process

Russ
Contributor

Hi,

I’m upgrading some VDX6740’s soon, and this will be the first time upgrading Brocade for me and I would like to clarify some confusion I’ve got from the documentation.

The release notes and the upgrade guide talks about running the firmware download command on the individual switches in logical cluster mode but what is giving me grief is the file option. The documentation in many examples quote the file to download as release.plist. I’ve gone looking for release.plist and it’t buried in sub-directories  SWBD1000,SWBD1001,SWBD1002,SWBD1004,SWBD1005,SWBD1006 . . . . . etc.

So which directory am I to specify in my download “directory /” firmware download command?

firmware download logical-chassis scp host x.x.x.x user ****** password ******** directory /VDX6740-Firmware/?????? file ????? rbridge-id 3,5

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yulia_Abitbul
Extreme Employee

Hi Russ

Check this article, for clarification: https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/Q_A/How-to-upgrade-VDX-firmware

If you upgrade with ftp, you can mark “nos7.2.0” as root folder on ftp, in this case you can only use “/” for directory and command will look like that:

firmware download ftp host 1.1.1.1 user username password password directory / coldboot

or

firmware download default-config ftp host 1.1.1.1 user username password password directory /

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Mick_Day
Extreme Employee

Hi Russ,

If you use the directory option in the firmware download command there is no need to specify a file. As long as the directory points to the root directory of unzipped the firmware.

The command as per your syntax is simply:

firmware download logical-chassis scp host x.x.x.x user ****** password ******** directory <directory containing firmware> rbridge-id 3,5

Also if you are upgrading a major version i.e. NOS 5.x to NOS 6.x or NOS 6.x to NOS 7.x etc. you will need to specify the coldboot option in the firmware download command.

Michael_Andreas
Extreme Employee

Hi Russ,

just state the Directory of the firmeware version you try to upgrade too.

in the example below upgrade to   nos7.2.0b

firmware download logical-chassis scp host x.x.x.x user ****** password ******** directory /VDX6740-Firmware/nos7.2.0b rbridge-id 3,5 

Regards

Michael

GTM-P2G8KFN