Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firmware Update process

Firmware Update process

Russ
Contributor

Hi,

I’m upgrading some VDX6740’s soon, and this will be the first time upgrading Brocade for me and I would like to clarify some confusion I’ve got from the documentation.

The release notes and the upgrade guide talks about running the firmware download command on the individual switches in logical cluster mode but what is giving me grief is the file option. The documentation in many examples quote the file to download as release.plist. I’ve gone looking for release.plist and it’t buried in sub-directories  SWBD1000,SWBD1001,SWBD1002,SWBD1004,SWBD1005,SWBD1006 . . . . . etc.

So which directory am I to specify in my download “directory /” firmware download command?

firmware download logical-chassis scp host x.x.x.x user ****** password ******** directory /VDX6740-Firmware/?????? file ????? rbridge-id 3,5

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yulia_Abitbul
Extreme Employee

Hi Russ

Check this article, for clarification: https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/Q_A/How-to-upgrade-VDX-firmware

If you upgrade with ftp, you can mark “nos7.2.0” as root folder on ftp, in this case you can only use “/” for directory and command will look like that:

firmware download ftp host 1.1.1.1 user username password password directory / coldboot

or

firmware download default-config ftp host 1.1.1.1 user username password password directory /

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Russ
Contributor

Thanks for you help and advice all.

Yulia_Abitbul
Extreme Employee

To preserve configuration:

• NOS7.0.1x to NOS7.1.0b with “coldboot” (reload) option
  • NOS7.1.0b to NOS7.2.0d with “coldboot” (reload) option
  • NOS7.2.0d to NOS7.3.0a with “coldboot” (reload) option
  • NOS7.3.0a to NOS7.4.0a with “coldboot” (reload) option
  • NOS7.4.0a to NOS7.4.1 with “coldboot” (reload) option

firmware download ftp host 1.1.1.1 user username password password directory / coldboot  

With default-config option you can jump from 7.0.1 to 7.4  

firmware download default-config ftp host 1.1.1.1 user username password password directory /   

If you have big cluster check this article:  https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/How_To/How-to-perform-VCS-Fabric-Multi-Version-Up...  

Russ
Contributor

That’s fantastic thank you all.

Have one more question, I need to upgrade from 7.0.1x to 7.4.x. Can I make the jump in one firmware upgrade or I should incrementally go through the releases to get to 7.4.x?

Thanks, 

Yulia_Abitbul
Extreme Employee

Hi Russ

Check this article, for clarification: https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/Q_A/How-to-upgrade-VDX-firmware

If you upgrade with ftp, you can mark “nos7.2.0” as root folder on ftp, in this case you can only use “/” for directory and command will look like that:

or

GTM-P2G8KFN