Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow FTP transfer to SLX 9540

Slow FTP transfer to SLX 9540

JustinH
New Contributor
Hello all-

Looking for some guidance on an issue we are having. I am trying to install TPVM on our 9540's in the field so I can perfrom TCP dumps for an issue we are having. We are seeing a whopping max speed of .5Mb on when doing a "get" via FTP to the SLX 9540. This is taking around 1 hour for the transfer to complete and I need to install this on 7-8 boxes. I found a related article on this exact issue and how to increase the qos cpu bandwidth allocation for different groups/priorities. See document below:

https://extremeportal.force.com/ExtrLogin?startURL=%2FExtrArticleDetail%3Fan%3D000103531

I did try and increase the Group 1/Priority 1 to 100000 or even 50000 however the change did not help the file transfer speed. I am assuming that the ftp protocol would be classified as group 1 and priority 1 but not sure. I've also attached output of the current qos bandwidth settings for each group/priority from my router. Hoping someone can help! Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7

Jorg,

The FTP Transfer I performed is from the Linux sub-system via "start-shell" which uses eth0, the management interface, to reach my server. 
From SLX CLI this server is only available via the mgmt-vrf:

SLX# ping 10.26.XXX.XXX
Type Control-c to abort
connect: No route to host

SLX# ping 10.26.XXX.XXX vrf mgmt-vrf
Type Control-c to abort
PING 10.26.XXX.XXX (10.26.XXX.XXX) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 10.26.XXX.XXX: icmp_seq=1 ttl=62 time=0.356 ms
64 bytes from 10.26.XXX.XXX: icmp_seq=2 ttl=62 time=0.311 ms
64 bytes from 10.26.XXX.XXX: icmp_seq=3 ttl=62 time=0.355 ms
64 bytes from 10.26.XXX.XXX: icmp_seq=4 ttl=62 time=0.284 ms
--- 10.26.XXX.XXX ping statistics ---
4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% packet loss, time 3103ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.284/0.326/0.356/0.035 ms

------------------------------
Michael Morey
Principal Technical Support Engineer
Extreme Networks
Michael Morey
Extreme Networks

Hi Michael,

yes, the eth0 as mgmt-vrf is not affected.The problem was/is the in-band access, e.g. default-vrf if you want to copy via a ve-interface  or ethernet interface. My initial support request has the ID #02324875. I think Justin means something similar. Maybe Justin can comment on the copy-method again?

BR
Jörg

Jorg,

The Premier services team reached out to me on this issue.  They did some testing and were able to find solution for FTP traffic.  I have updated the article with that information:

https://extremeportal.force.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000103531

I have also tested this in the same lab and see good FTP traffic speeds when setting priority 0 to 50000

Thanks for bringing this issue up.

Michael Morey
Extreme Networks
Michael Morey
Extreme Networks
GTM-P2G8KFN