Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy startup-config running-config

Copy startup-config running-config

ckp70Guam
New Contributor

Hello,

I’m configuring new VDX 6740t switches to replace our existing old units and wanted an efficient way of configuring them since the only thing different between the new switches is the name and IP address.  What I have done is copied the running-config file onto a USB drive from an existing VDX 6740t switch that had already been configured and deployed.  I then edited the running-config file by changing the chassis-name and IP address of Interface Management.  Then I put the USB drive onto a new switch, copied USB://myconfig running-config and rebooted switch (reload system).  After reboot I checked the running-config and it’s not showing the changes from copying off USB drive, but the startup-config shows what I have copied from USB drive.  When I tried to copy startup-config to running-config I get error message, “startup-config” is NOT valid source URL.  How can I replace the running-config file with startiup-config file?

Please advise,
Carl

3 REPLIES 3

Truyen_Phan
Extreme Employee

Hi Carl,

address-family ipv4
syntax error: unknown argument

Base don the above error, it looks like the config that you are trying to load is from a newer version (likely NOS v5.x or higher). 

NOS 4.1.3 is very old and a few things were configured differently including snmp, default gateways, etc on NOS v4.1.3 vs NOS v5.x and higher. Hence, you see all the unknown/incomplete errors  that you posted above. 

Also, the “Invalid Tengigabitethernet Interface” errors could be related to the Rbrigde ID (RB_ID) not matching or the ports don’t exist on the local switch to match what’s in the configuration. Please check that the RB_ID matches from the configuration vs what’s configured on the new switches. 

Since these are new switches, I strongly recommend upgrading to the latest stable target path release which have many fixes since 4.1.3 has been released. 

NOS 4.1.3 → 5.x → 7.2.0d

When upgrading from 4.1.3 → 5.x specifically, please upgrade via FTP or SCP as there’s a known issue with USB upgrades affecting the switch’s partition tables. 

Once  you upgrade to 5.x or higher, the configuration should be able to import without issues as long as the RB_ID matches. 

If you need help with upgrading, please open a ticket with GTAC to assist you. 

Regarding your connectivity issue: 

The switch works fine when connected to the network using one of the 10Gb ports, but when I connect to another same switch with the network connectivity using one of the 40Gb ports with a QSFP to QSFP Active cable my PC connected to it is not getting network connectivity.

This sounds like a configuration issue. Is the other switch on the 40G connection also a 6740T? If so, how is it configured? Are you trying to join it to the VCS cluster or make them two standalone switches? The switches could be in a segmented state where it’s trying to form a VCS, but there’s a config mismatch which can impact traffic. 

There’s quite a few variables involved for this connectivity issue. I would also suggest contacting GTAC as well so we can get on a call to quickly understand what’s happening and help resolve it. 

ckp70Guam
New Contributor

Hi Truyen,

The new switches currently are on 4.1.3.  We are replace old non-Brocade switches with these 6740Ts; some will be in a logical VCS cluster.  Below is a session when I tried to copy from USB.  The switch works fine when connected to the network using one of the 10Gb ports, but when I connect to another same switch with the network connectivity using one of the 40Gb ports with a QSFP to QSFP Active cable my PC connected to it is not getting network connectivity.

sw1# copy usb://startup-config_vdxID32-12dec19rev1 running-config
snmp-server
syntax error: incomplete path
Error: on line 139
snmp-server
syntax error: incomplete path
Error: on line 152
2019/12/13-10:06:22, [SEC-1197], 4336,, INFO, BVDX6740T1G13, Changed account user.
address-family ipv4
syntax error: unknown argument
Error: on line 239
-----------------------------^
syntax error: unknown argument.
Error: on line 259

syntax error: unknown command
Error: on line 267

syntax error: unknown command
Error: on line 280
%Error: Invalid Tengigabitethernet Interface
2019/12/13-10:07:07, [SEC-1334], 4337,, INFO, BVDX6740T1G13, local security policy not saved.
2019/12/13-10:07:07, [SEC-1334], 4338,, INFO, BVDX6740T1G13, local security policy not saved.

Please advise,

Carl

Truyen_Phan
Extreme Employee

Hi Carl,

Please tell us a bit about how your VDX are setup:

1. What version are you running?
  2. Are the VDX in a logical VCS cluster? If so, how many VDX are in the cluster?
  3. Are you replacing a failed 6740T with a new 6740T?

I then edited the running-config file by changing the chassis-name and IP address of Interface Management.  Then I put the USB drive onto a new switch, copied USB://myconfig running-config and rebooted switch (reload system).

This should have updated your VDX config on the fly, did you see the changes prior to reboot? Can you provide the full syntax? 

After reboot I checked the running-config and it’s not showing the changes from copying off USB drive, but the startup-config shows what I have copied from USB drive.  When I tried to copy startup-config to running-config I get error message, “startup-config” is NOT valid source URL.  How can I replace the running-config file with startiup-config file?

I suspect you are running logical chassis mode. With logical chassis mode, copying the starting config to running is not available as all configuration changes made are applied and automatically saved. 

Notice ‘copy start run’ is not available. 

vcs3_rb1# copy startup-config ?
Possible completions:
flash:// copy startup-config to local flash. path syntax flash://<filename>
ftp:// copy startup-config to FTP server. URL syntax for IPv4 ftp://<username>:<password>@hostname/<filepath>. URL syntax for IPv6 ftp://<username>:<password>@[hostname]/<filepath>.
scp:// copy startup-config to SCP server. URL syntax for IPv4 scp://<username>:<password>@hostname/<filepath>. URL syntax for IPv6 scp://<username>:<password>@[hostname]/<filepath>.
sftp:// copy startup-config to SFTP server. URL syntax for IPv4 sftp://<username>:<password>@hostname/<filepath>. URL syntax for IPv6 sftp://<username>:<password>@[hostname]/<filepath>.
tftp:// copy startup-config to TFTP server. URL syntax for IPv4 tftp://@hostname/<filepath>.
usb:// copy startup-config to USB. path syntax usb://<filename>

If you want to copy the config to your VDX, you can do it from, USB, FTP, SCP, etc to running. Then, the changes should take affect right away. 

If the above does not work, please provide the output of the command being done. 

GTM-P2G8KFN