cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vdx 6740 firmware upgrade fails - ISSU is not supported to the target firmware version

vdx 6740 firmware upgrade fails - ISSU is not supported to the target firmware version

Pawel_Eljasz
New Contributor II
hi gents,

I have two vdx in logical chassis. I'm trying to upgrade 7.2.0a1 to nos7.3.0aa but process fails.
Is this upgrade path not supported or I'm having a problem?
I'm hoping non-disruptive upgrade is possible with ISSU or some other way.

code:
bottom# firmware download logical-chassis ftp host 10.214.234.2 user anonymous directory / rbridge-id 1-2
Password: *********

Following is the result of the sanity check on the specified nodes.

Rbridge-id Sanity Result Current Version
--------------------------------------------------------------
1 Failed * 7.2.0a1
2 Failed * 7.2.0a1

* Details:
Rbridge-id 1:

ISSU is not supported to the target firmware version. Please specify coldboot option in the command-line for download.

The preinstall script failed.

Rbridge-id 2:

ISSU is not supported to the target firmware version. Please specify coldboot option in the command-line for download.

The preinstall script failed.

Firmware download failed. Please address the failures and then initiate firmware download again.
18 REPLIES 18

Ivan_Chan
Extreme Employee
I hear you.
That was one of the issues. ISSU upgrade for 730aa is not supported but not clearly stated in Release_note. But upgrade from 7.2.0 to 7.3.0aa is stated that it requires default config. Furthermore, coldboot was accept and proceed to fwdl, but nuke the config ( you will see "DCM: database conversion failed" in console message that scrolled across the screen ); and if coldboot option is not used, the fwdl may leave the switch partitions in limbo, they are out-of-sync, requiring "firmware sync" to rescue.

Folks are working on plugging those rabbit holes now and will make the necessary changes on the portal.

You may want to save the config, before downgrade. I did not get a chance to check donwgrade from 730aa to 730a yet. In case you need to copy/paste back once it is fwdl to 730a.

Thanks and sorry about the hiccup ...

Pawel_Eljasz
New Contributor II
Okey then - should I expect configuration to get cleared with the downgrade?

My remark - it did not require "default config", upgrade process did not object. It would have been great if did but it proceeded with "cold reboot" as normal. Maybe such a safety-feature-check should be introduced into these "special" releases, so those of us who do not read release-notes would be saved from stumbling unexpectedly into a rabbit hole.

Ivan_Chan
Extreme Employee
Hi Pawel,

Yes, please downgrade back to NOX 7.3.0a.
NOS 7.3.0aa is NOT for general consumption.
NOS 7.3.0a is the latest for GA ( while NOS 7.3.0aa is for specific customers with FIP requirement ), it will not do you any good running NOS 7.3.0aa

The official word from GTAC and Engineering is that NOS 7.3.0a should be the one for general consumption, No one should recommend customer to upgrade to NOS 7.3.0aa.

We have also communicated to other users who upgraded to NOS 7.3.0aa, and also ran into issue, to downgrade to NOS 7.3.0.

Pawel_Eljasz
New Contributor II
thanks Ivan,

you say "please do not upgrade to NOS 7.3.0aa" and I already had said I had done already - what do I do now?
Downgrade to NOS 7.3.0a? Wait for new version?

many thanks.
GTM-P2G8KFN