cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vdx 6740 firmware upgrade fails - ISSU is not supported to the target firmware version

vdx 6740 firmware upgrade fails - ISSU is not supported to the target firmware version

Pawel_Eljasz
New Contributor II
hi gents,

I have two vdx in logical chassis. I'm trying to upgrade 7.2.0a1 to nos7.3.0aa but process fails.
Is this upgrade path not supported or I'm having a problem?
I'm hoping non-disruptive upgrade is possible with ISSU or some other way.

code:
bottom# firmware download logical-chassis ftp host 10.214.234.2 user anonymous directory / rbridge-id 1-2
Password: *********

Following is the result of the sanity check on the specified nodes.

Rbridge-id Sanity Result Current Version
--------------------------------------------------------------
1 Failed * 7.2.0a1
2 Failed * 7.2.0a1

* Details:
Rbridge-id 1:

ISSU is not supported to the target firmware version. Please specify coldboot option in the command-line for download.

The preinstall script failed.

Rbridge-id 2:

ISSU is not supported to the target firmware version. Please specify coldboot option in the command-line for download.

The preinstall script failed.

Firmware download failed. Please address the failures and then initiate firmware download again.
18 REPLIES 18

Ivan_Chan
Extreme Employee
Hi Pawel,

NOS 7.3.0aa is a special release intended for FIP (Fed Customer), it is not a GA release for general public.
The release note of NOS 7.3.0aa stated that it will not support ISSU upgrade, it requires default config.
So the loss of config when you upgrade from 7.2.0a1 is expected.
In additions, please do not upgrade to NOS 7.3.0aa, for general deployment NOS 7.3.0a is the latest and should not venture to NOS 7.3.0aa until further notice.
Expect some doc modification on the portal to be made soon, that will make this point more easy for users to follow.

Yulia_Abitbul
Extreme Employee
You are right, you should not lose configuration after upgrade. Only if you used "default-config" option. Something went wrong
That might be a Defect, that is why I suggested to collect Support files and open a ticket to GTAC

Pawel_Eljasz
New Contributor II
But in the mean while I'd like to say that it's quite a disaster the way the upgrade does not work.
I had a pretty "regular" config, only ethernet, handful of vlans, nothing complex. I first upgraded the stand-by rb2 switch and then the active switch.

I'd question validation, testing, the whole process frankly, which declares whether specific upgrade path is safe & ready.
I can not understand how this was possible that upgrade lost configuration.

Yulia_Abitbul
Extreme Employee
code:
#copy support 

will have everything

Pawel_Eljasz
New Contributor II
I was not watching.
How do I collect most info that can help investigation?
GTM-P2G8KFN