cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Is there any plan to provide updated release notes for IQ Engine versions

Is there any plan to provide updated release notes for IQ Engine versions

w1f1n00b
Contributor II

Maybe Iā€™m just missing something but as far as I can find these release notes are static and not kept up to date with known issues

example - https://docs.aerohive.com/330000/docs/help/english/documentation/6.5r12_HiveOS_ReleaseNotes.pdf

I learned today via a GTAC ticket, that there is currently an open CFD for the very issue I submitted a ticket for.

Iā€™ve spent time investigating, troubleshooting, collecting documentation and submitting a ticket only to be told itā€™s a known issue and will be fixed in the next release. Why not publish known CFDā€™s for firmware so I donā€™t have to waste time on known issues?

23 REPLIES 23

Adam13
New Contributor
It's good to know there are at least internal discussions happening but I'll still reiterate the fact w1f1n00b raised the problem here 2 years ago. Maybe a section in the release notes with "unverified" CFDs so we can review and help you guys out if we're seeing the same problem.

It appears to me that the team doesn't have a production sized test environment to recreate and monitor bugs, so many of these CFDs will always be unverified.

Since 7525 is the example being used I had noted it in my comment since an engineer had spotted the issue on my 650s/510s, I don't believe I was the originator for that CFD so wouldn't multiple environments justify it as being verified?

I still have multiple issues being looked at, most of which I would expect to be "verified" and nothing is in the latest release notes. On 10.4.3 SDR killed our network, the CFD-7332 that may be related was addressed in 10.4.4. I have been advised to review WIPs prior to putting the new release into testing for Extreme, but there's nothing identified in the release notes for this new problem. I'm fairly sure I shouldn't be getting special treatment and it should be common knowledge in the release notes so why hasn't it been added?

Engineer notes for this SDR example;
b5c2e1c8c8004c3dbd966946fed14385.png
I'll add my current cases for reference to others that may see similar issues, I can see a few client tracking problems in the release notes but I have a couple more, including CFD-7604 "hostname not appear on client page" which was created after being verified by the engineer to keep it separate from another issue in the original ticket.

7071d87845c54834a22b5ea5fc73d5de.png
CFD-7619 has an old article being addressed here https://extremeportal.force.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000102165 with the fix being implemented mid-Feb but doesn't appear in either release notes (firmware or cloud IQ).

Client tracking was one of the primary reasons I chose Extreme for our site and it hasn't worked this year. My most recent update on it is;
cb1be536858346a98455fd2819a9f6d1.pngOthers will be seeing the same problem but there are no updates anywhere on why basic functionality isn't reliable.

I don't enjoy spending my time troubleshooting and addressing issues that should be addressed within a vendor (I've had smaller but similar issues with Fortinet recently), I would prefer to spend my time improving our systems so if these "internal discussions" can help sort out your teams processes let us know what you want from us.

SamPirok
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey guys, it's not that your comments are going unnoticed, I just try not to give you any fluff updates and we're still working on this process, as you can see. I really appreciate the recent examples, that helps a lot with internal discussions about this. 

Looking at CFD-7525 specifically, and I do realize this doesn't address the larger concerns here, that wasn't included in the release notes because it's still listed as an unverified bug. That could be because our engineers couldn't replicate it, but we found a fix for the original environment with the issue, so we published the fix just in case it helps others down the road. 

All that said, I hear you about not being able to make informed upgrade decisions if you can't trust the documentation to give you the full picture. The service delivery team will be talking about this issue again this week, and I will update this thread the moment I have any substantial updates. More examples can only help move things along so please keep adding those to this thread when you can. 

w1f1n00b
Contributor II

hey @Sam Pirok, is anyone on the extreme side still looking to improve documentation?

This weeks documentation spreadsheet included this article documenting CFD-7525 which it states was resolved in 10.4r4. However the 10.4r4 release notes, don't mention it.  It's really hard to trust upgrading firmware when I know there are known problems that go undocumented so often.

Was surprised to see ā€‹Adam's comment above go unnoticed as well considering how many CFDs he listed.

ā€‹

w1f1n00b
Contributor II
bJOs0JHGSgS2pHOAuPzH_test-in-production-meme.jpeg

Adam13
New Contributor
I'm going to resurrect this post since it's still an issue, I don't see others asking the question but it's coming up two years without being looked at.

Currently I have cases open involving, CFD-7223, CFD-7276, CFD-7332, CFD-7344, CFD-7396 and CFD-7525.

I upgraded firmwares to 10.4.3 last week which brought our network to a halt, I didn't get enough captures prior to turning SDR off so now I may be out of luck on finding the reasoning. As I've been logging tickets to find a cause I have been checking the known issues webpage (as previously discussed in this post) and I see the same problem still exists where CFDs are not being added. Known and resolved issues

We should have the page updated with CFDs as investigations are being done, I'm sure others are like myself and spend time troubleshooting and getting information prior to opening a ticket, if we could see CFDs others have found it would save our time and point us in the right direction.

Also why are we the ones testing dodgy firmware releases when it's marked as the stable recommended firmware?
GTM-P2G8KFN