cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Used AP120

Used AP120

sanscorp
New Contributor

I am able to pick up a dozen used AP120 from a reseller but am unsure if those would be usable in home networking situations (I'm talking about 3 AP's for home use only.)

I understand the devices should be unregistered by the previous owner (or could be released via this forum, correct?) and there is no GUI / manager available that allows configuration other then trough the CLI, also correct? Or is the legacy manager available without licence / service costs?

Would it still be possible for me to update to the latest available firmware and where would I be able to obtain the FW?

Thank you in advance.

With regards,

Sander.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SamPirok
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sander, those are all great questions. Extreme Networks does not recommend purchasing Extreme products from anyone other than an Extreme partner or distributor. Buying ‘grey market’ devices from previous owners comes with some risk of delays in getting to use the device, some of which you’ve already outlined. To go through this step by step:

If the original owner goes in to their ExtremeCloud IQ instance and removes these devices from their inventory completely, you will be able to add them to your own inventory. This would require no assistance from this forum or technical support. 

If the original owner does not do this before they sell the devices, you can either open a support case or come to this community, provide the serial numbers in question, and we will reach out to the original owner to get a transfer of ownership approval. 

If we’re unable to reach the original owner, I will go to the original owner’s +account team in Extreme to see if they can give us approval to remove the device from it’s previous registration. 

If the account team can’t help us, you would need to reach out to your local sales engineer to begin their transfer of ownership process without contact from the original owner. If we get to this step, I can find a local SE for you to reach out to. 

So that’s all the possibilities regarding transferring ownership of the device to you. As for configuration, you can try to configure the devices via the CLI, but that isn’t something we can support fully so you’d be doing a lot of manual work with very little support and a lot of room for error. Instead, I’d recommend using our free ExtremeCloud IQ platform. It’s a limited feature platform, but has all the basic functions for you and is free to use for life. This guide reviews how to register for ExtremeCloud IQ Connect. You could also keep the devices on the latest firmware when using Connect as well. You would need to get the devices up to at least firmware version 6.5r3 to manage them in Connect, but I can help you with that too if you need. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

sanscorp
New Contributor

Thanks, that's unfortunate as I would like to configure the Hive one time.

What are my options concerning a licence for home use?

I would also be happy with an entitlement key for the older HiveManager so I can manage the 3 AP's on premesis.

SamPirok
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

You won’t be able to switch from a Connect instance to a trail of Pilot and back again. If you want to try Pilot out, you would need to have a separate instance for that in addition to the Connect instance. You also can’t change the Pilot instance to a Connect instance, just something to keep in mind. If you add any kind of key to a Connect instance (temporary or permanent), that will change everything to Pilot instance and you will not be able to go back to Connect. 

sanscorp
New Contributor

I had the chance to register a 30 day trial and signed up, but how do I switch from Connect to the trial again?

sanscorp
New Contributor

I just purchased the 10 devices (AP121) after the seller told me he was still in contact with the original owner.

They checked and 5 AP's were still configured to the owner and they (school) removed them from the management tool.

I have succesfully added the first device to ExtremeCloud IQ Connect and also succesfully updated the firmware (6.5.10.0 to 6.5.14.0)

Now setting up for first time use.

Thank you for your awnsers!

GTM-P2G8KFN