cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

meaning of E2120 appliance different software release lines?

meaning of E2120 appliance different software release lines?

Jan_Reister
Contributor
The Extreme Support Downloads page lists 4 separate release lines for E2120 appliance right now:
  • release version, release type, tags
  • ECA-05.16.06.008, maintenance, recommended, latest
  • ECA-05.26.07.004, maintenance, recommended, latest
  • ECA-05.36.3.0017, major, recommended, latest
  • ECA-05.46.01.0024, major, recommended, latest
I have read the release notes for each, and the requirements. However it is unclear which are stable release lines, what is their lifecycle, what mutual relationship they have. What's the difference?

edited 20211021: I opened a support case and it was promptly answered. Each line supports new APs, new frequency bands (eg 6Ghz for 05.46), features, and has specific XMC version requirements if NAC/XMC integration is needed.

Extreme also pointed out the EOVM End of Version Maintenance date listed for each version.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SamPirok
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jan, thank you very much for your patience while I looked in to this for you.

The main differences between a Major release and a Maintenance release is that there are new features added and new hardware supported in a Major release.

For 5.46.01, the main additions to this version is support for the AP4000, and also support for new VM models, the VM VE6120K (KVM based virtual appliance), and VE6125K  (virtual appliance configuration for KVM hypervisors). 

5.36.03 is a stable firmware that also includes new features, most notably support for the ExtremeNAC (A3) and Universal AP’s.  

5.26.07 is the most mature firmware we have and this version is recommended if you want to upgrade from 5.16 or 4.76.   We are about to release 5.26.08 and would recommend upgrading to that as well.  

For devices on 5.36.xx, it's recommended to upgrade to 5.36.04 when available, as any fixes in 5.26 will be included in that as well. Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

SamPirok
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jan, thank you very much for your patience while I looked in to this for you.

The main differences between a Major release and a Maintenance release is that there are new features added and new hardware supported in a Major release.

For 5.46.01, the main additions to this version is support for the AP4000, and also support for new VM models, the VM VE6120K (KVM based virtual appliance), and VE6125K  (virtual appliance configuration for KVM hypervisors). 

5.36.03 is a stable firmware that also includes new features, most notably support for the ExtremeNAC (A3) and Universal AP’s.  

5.26.07 is the most mature firmware we have and this version is recommended if you want to upgrade from 5.16 or 4.76.   We are about to release 5.26.08 and would recommend upgrading to that as well.  

For devices on 5.36.xx, it's recommended to upgrade to 5.36.04 when available, as any fixes in 5.26 will be included in that as well. Hope this helps!

GTM-P2G8KFN