Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

802.1X (Identity) - What is it?

802.1X (Identity) - What is it?

Mar100co
New Contributor
Hello Hub,

I am currently implementing the Extreme Acces Control Engine as the Radius for our WIFI Authentication.
I do see with some Devices mostly Apple iOS and macOS this event:

6f533c573e7c4afbb04dcb35d813b7a1_e105ca25-e740-46aa-aaf9-30cb68b8559a.png

These Authentication requests are marked as error and said devices can not join the network.

I am wondering what 802.1X (Identity) as Auth Type is, as i am unable to find a hint in the Acces Control User Guide.
Also it is not possible to create a rule with this authentication type.

Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ryan_Yacobucci
Extreme Employee
Hello,

802.1x(Identity) indicates that the authentication did not pass the identity phase of the protocol.

Extreme Control will show 802.1x(Identity) if the authentication never passed the "Request Method" part of the authentication protocol where an authentication method (PEAP/TLS) was negotiated.

In this case I would be more worried about the "System Misconfiguration" error as if the AAA does not have an appropriate line to handle the authentication Extreme Control will not continue with processing of the request, which would be the cause of the failure to complete the "method" negotiation of the request.

Usually this is caused by a client falling through all of the rules in the AAA configuration so Control does not know how to process the request.

Thanks
-Ryan

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

James_A
Valued Contributor
For reference, 802.1x(Identity) can also mean the client moved out of range of the AP before completing authentication.

Mar100co
New Contributor
Hello Ryan,

Thank you for the clearification

Ryan_Yacobucci
Extreme Employee
Hello,

802.1x(Identity) indicates that the authentication did not pass the identity phase of the protocol.

Extreme Control will show 802.1x(Identity) if the authentication never passed the "Request Method" part of the authentication protocol where an authentication method (PEAP/TLS) was negotiated.

In this case I would be more worried about the "System Misconfiguration" error as if the AAA does not have an appropriate line to handle the authentication Extreme Control will not continue with processing of the request, which would be the cause of the failure to complete the "method" negotiation of the request.

Usually this is caused by a client falling through all of the rules in the AAA configuration so Control does not know how to process the request.

Thanks
-Ryan
GTM-P2G8KFN