cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

After upgrading to XMC 8.1.4.40, all AP's show as down?

After upgrading to XMC 8.1.4.40, all AP's show as down?

Steve_Ballantyn
Contributor
Hello all,

I just ran an upgrade on my XMC server to version 8.1.4.40. When it came back up, it shows all of my wireless access points as being down. In other words, I have hundreds of "AP Out of Service" alarms. I tried a reboot of the XMC server, to no avail,

It is still connecting to my wireless controller and shows the AP's as active, and shows a number of clients that is accurate. But there is no longer any client history detail since the upgrade.

I am running 10.41.04.0002 on my C5210 controllers. Is there a mandatory upgrade on the wireless side of things?

11 REPLIES 11

Thanks working now.

Ronald_Dvorak
Honored Contributor
I've just upgraded my XMC to 8.1.4 and have the same issue.

Here my controller settings....

V2110-1:secureconnection# show
Weak Ciphers: disable

Message Cipher: none
V2110-1:secureconnection#

a8d09a654aed489b8b40ab42f6ce04d8_RackMultipart20180814-11604-1qkwtcs-EWC_secureconnection01_inline.png

I don't see a way to change it via the GUI and that is a little weird for me because I can't think of anything that isn't possible via the GUI (beside deep troubleshooting via the shell).

Ryan_Yacobucci
Extreme Employee
Check the following:

in XMC go to administration --> diagnostics

Make sure the "Level" at the top is set to "Diagnostic"

Click on historical Statistics collection --> Collector status

Scroll down to the "Wireless Discover" section

Check the status of the SYNC

Does it say SYNC-SUCCEEDED or does it say INVALID SHARED SECRET?

If INVALID SHARED SECRET try the following:

SSH to the EWC and run the following commands:

secureconnection
message-bus-ciphers AES128-SHA256 3
apply

Give it about 10-15 minutes to attempt resync.

If it shows sync'd it'll need 30 minutes before everything shows back up normally.

Thanks
-Ryan

Wonderful,

As a side note you'll want to make sure you remove the weak ciphers and disable the weak ciphers.

secureconnection
weak cipher disable

There was a change to support stronger ciphers for the EWC --> XMC connection. If anyone has previous had to enable weak ciphers on their EWC in the past they will need to perform this manual configuration to re-establish communication.

There will be an addendum put into the release notes regarding this change as currently the release notes indicate you need to change to a weak cipher, and this is not correct.

Thanks
-Ryan

Check the "Collector Status" again to see if it says "SYNC-SUCCEEDED"

You may have to remove the weak ciphers that are listed.

If you SSH to the EWC and run the following:

secureconnection
show

What do you see?

GTM-P2G8KFN