cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between trap and syslog message?

Difference between trap and syslog message?

Visconti
New Contributor III
do anyone explain to me what is the difference between trap and syslog message?

17 REPLIES 17

Visconti
New Contributor III
what meens NMS ?

Hello Visconti,

because the SNMP trap format is specified in the message information base (MIB), it cannot easily be extended with new information. While Syslog messages could theoretically be amended with additional information, switches generally do not provide that feature. On EXOS, one might be able to use a script to collect the relevant information and send it as a Syslog message, but I cannot tell you how exactly or even how hard that would be (I would have to find out how myself before).

Thus you need to manually (or possibly with scripting on the NMS) use the info from the trap to find out e.g. the port description from the switch.

Thanks,
Erik

AFAIK no.

Visconti
New Contributor III
ok but I want to know if is there a way to include, inside of the "information" field, the ip address or the alias/name of the pc that has generate the "link down"

The switch (192.168.10.106) doens't care about the IP of the device that is connected on slot 0 port 5 - the message is a link down message and doesn't include the IP of the device that is connected to 0/5.
GTM-P2G8KFN