cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

How do I configure an alarm actions initiate a task (a saved script)

How do I configure an alarm actions initiate a task (a saved script)

Christopher_Tay
Contributor

I would like to know how to have an XMC alarm initiate a task once it is triggered.

I am running XMC version 8.3.2.11.

I have written a script that disables one WLAN and then enables another WLAN.

I have saved the script as a task and when run manually or scheduled works perfectly.

What I would like to do is have the task run when an XMC alarm is triggered.  I have created an alarm that sends an email when the WAN interface of one of my routers becomes unavailable.  The alarm also works fine.
In the alarm creation dialog box under ā€œactionsā€ there is a spot for ā€œadd task actionā€ and has a ā€œtaskā€ drop down list, however there are only certain system created workflows available in the drop down list.

4c5abe737257463e8248940e7011b1f6_40815f45-d787-4f43-bf3e-93b2e1b7f5ab.png

How do I get the task I have created to appear in that drop down list?  

Do I need to save it somewhere different or give it a certain variable when saving?

Does the ā€œtaskā€ need to be a workflow and if it does is there a special way to save it?

Or am I looking at this wrong and there is another way to accomplish what I want to do?

Thank you

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

StephanH
Valued Contributor III

Hello,

as far as I know the ability to trigger scripts (XMC GUI scrips) was removed in a late 8.1 version of XMC (end of 2018). It was a product differentiation decision because of for workflows you need an advanced license.

Regards

Stephan

Regards Stephan

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

StephanH
Valued Contributor III

Hello,

as far as I know the ability to trigger scripts (XMC GUI scrips) was removed in a late 8.1 version of XMC (end of 2018). It was a product differentiation decision because of for workflows you need an advanced license.

Regards

Stephan

Regards Stephan

echavez1503
Extreme Employee

I have the same problem with a customer running 8.4.3.24, and Scripts do not appear as Task Actions. And I am sure as Z says that it was there because I did it for PoCs.

Zdeněk_Pala
Extreme Employee

Based on documentation:

Add Task Action ā€” Runs a task action when the alarm is triggered. Tasks are configured on the Tasks tab and include scripts and workflows. Selecting Task Action from the Add drop-down list opens the Add Task Action window, from which you can select a task from the Tasks drop-down list.

Do you have support contract? I suggest to open GTAC ticket to get this fixed and tracked.

Workaround can be execute the script through Custom Action (there is Python available in the OS and each script is stored in the filesystem.

Add Custom Action ā€” Runs a custom program or script on the Extreme Management Center Server when the alarm is triggered. In the Program field, enter the name of the program. In the Working Directory field, enter the path to the directory from which the program is executed. Any path references within your program that are not absolute paths, are relative to the working directory. There is a default set of arguments passed to the program you can override by selecting the Override Content checkbox. You can view a list of alarm keywords by clicking Show Keywords. Click the Save button to save the email action to the list of actions for the alarm definition.

Regards Zdeněk Pala

Christopher_Tay
Contributor

Iā€™m running 8.3.2.11

I just upgraded as I couldnā€™t find it in 8.2 and hoped it might appear in 8.3

GTM-P2G8KFN