cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to direct SNMP traffic to a specific physical port on a EWC C5210?

Is it possible to direct SNMP traffic to a specific physical port on a EWC C5210?

Christopher_Tay
Contributor
I am having trouble getting Extreme Management Center to receive SNMP traffic from my 2 C5210 controllers.
I am currently only using the 2 10 Gig fibre ports. 1 is used for the VNS VLANs. All of them are tagged and the port is not set as phyisical and does not have management traffic allowed. The other is used for APs. The port is untagged and set as physical with allow management traffic.
We use this port and network to access the controller GUIs.
NetSight is on a different subnet than the AP network but it is in the same router and the same router table.
NetSight can not see the SNMP traffic coming from the controller and will not discover the controllers
When I place an X440 switch on the AP subnet NetSight can discover it and display its information.
When I attach the management port to the same subnet as NetSight it is discovered and full information seems to be able to be retrieved in the console but not in OneView which still shows the controllers as down in the Wireless Dashboard
I do not want to use the Management Port as most documentation says not to.
I have the 2 copper ports available. Would it help to configure one of them as a physical port and connect it directly to the subnet that NetSIght is on? Is this advisable?

Thank you for your help.

14 REPLIES 14

Christopher_Tay
Contributor
Hi Craig, Yes it does have a direct route to the subnet that NetSight is on and yet it does not work, thus the reason for my post. I have put other switches, such as an X440, on the same network as the controllers physical port and Netsight discovers it and talks to it just fine. I have opened a case and worked for 4 hours with GTAC, both a wireless guy and a NetSight guy and they couldn't figure it out. This has continued through 3 firmware upgrades. I'm starting to think there is a problem with the SNMP service on my controller but no one has ever heard of that.

Craig_Guilmette
Extreme Employee
OK think about it this way if an snmp packet leaves the controller on IP 172.16.16.5 then goes to its default gateway of 172.16.16.1 does that router have a direct route to the 172.16.10.x subnet that the Netsight device of 172.16.10.51 resides on? If so you are good. Nothing else needs to be done.

Christopher_Tay
Contributor
The physical port on the controller is 172.16.16.5 The Netsight Interface is 172.16.10.51 They are directly connected networks with their own gateways but in the same route table Do you have an example of what that static route would look like? Thanks

Craig_Guilmette
Extreme Employee
... and what would the correct next hop be to get from said IP to the Netsight? My assumption is you need to add a static route to the route table where you have your default route.

Craig_Guilmette
Extreme Employee
What IP address do you have assigned to the physical port of the controller?
GTM-P2G8KFN