cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netsight 6.1 Archive Issue

Netsight 6.1 Archive Issue

Ian_Broadway
New Contributor III
I'm having an issue using the archive wizard in Netsight 6.1.

The archive itself works however the .cfg file is just full of gobbledegook.

We requested version 6 as version 5 couldn't understand Extreme devices.

Any takers?
9 REPLIES 9

TylerMarcotte
Extreme Employee
Hi Ian,

So it looks like the built-in windows zip utility won't unzip it correctly. I tried on my Mac and it worked fine. I just downloaded 7-zip and tried to look at it that way and it unzipped correctly with that utility as well. Try that out and see if it does the trick.

As for making the .cfg more readable, I would recommend opening up a case with GTAC for that so that it can be turned into a feature request / bug fix (not sure what they would classify it as).

Thanks,

-Tyler

Ian_Broadway
New Contributor III
Hi Tyler,

That's great, just what I wanted to hear.

While we have been able to view the archive through netsight (from your insight) it would be nice to simply take the .cfg and use it as needed.

We wouldn't use netsight to restore a config to a switch considering we don't attach new blanket switches to the network to replace faulty ones and then upload saved configs.

Normally we would take the .cfg file and upload locally from a laptop via TFTP and test before installing in live.

I have tried to rename the .cfg to .zip and while it worked the zip does not display any files when extracting.

Hope my explanation makes sense.
Thanks
Ian

TylerMarcotte
Extreme Employee
Hi Ian,

So I just tried it out myself. The file that is pulled off is actually a zipped up directory, even though the filename ends with .cfg. If you're looking to take the config off of the NetSight server, you can download the file and rename it to .zip and then unzip it with your favorite utility. Within there, the xml configuration file as well as a couple other files will be available. If you choose to look at the file from NetSight, either through Inventory Manager or comparing backups via OneView, the server will show you the correct config information.

I'll follow up with development on this, as the .cfg extension is a bit deceiving.

Let me know if that solves your problem. I verified this on NetSight version 6.1.0.124 with a Summit X460-24p running 15.4.2.8.

Thanks,

-Tyler

Ian_Broadway
New Contributor III
Hi,

Well all of our estates but to be more specific, x250s, x450s, x440s, BD10Ks, BD8810s, x670s.

Running 6.1.0.127

TylerMarcotte
Extreme Employee
Hi Ian,

What type of device are you trying to archive? Also what exact version of 6.1 are you using?

Thanks,

-Tyler
GTM-P2G8KFN