Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purview not receiving traffic of GRE

Purview not receiving traffic of GRE

Gradelain_Ngoun
New Contributor
Hello everyone,

I’m facing a simple issue actually with purview (Virtual Node)
purview is configured accordingly, netflow traffic are being received but the application response time is still missing. No traffic are being received over GRE.
From the Purview, the GRE source interface is reachable.
The necessary application services are running.
The Coreflow2 is a S8-Chassis with FW: S-84202-0012 and with following card types:

- SK2008-0832

- SK8008-1224-F8

The vSwitch on the ESX is in promiscuous mode!

I’m pretty sure have checked everything that should be necessary.

Note:

The Purview is connected a C5K switch which in turn is connected on the S8.

- Jumbo frame is enabled on the Purview connected interfaces on the C5K as well as on the ESX itself.

- Jumbo frame is also enabled on to the C5K

Any hint why the traffic still not being received over the GRE

Regards

Gradelain

10 REPLIES 10

Alex24
Extreme Employee
Hello Gradelain

Can you confirm that your mirror destination port and the tunnel interface are both shows as up and operational? "Show port status" will show you the status of the port and "show Tunnel" will give you the tunnel status. You could also setup a port mirror on the C5 in the middle to confirm if you are seeing the S send the GRE packets which will allow you to isolate this problem to the switch or server side.

-Alex

Mike_Thomas
Extreme Employee
You may want to review this article as well, although you note that promiscuous is enabled.

https://extremeportal.force.com/ExtrArticleDetail?n=000005582

davidj_cogliane
Contributor
As a side not insertion of a gbic is also required to the dummy port if using the traffic generator xmod

Gradelain_Ngoun
New Contributor
Hello Guys,

thanks a lot for you hints and recommendations. Unfortunately, all those steps were unsuccessfully taken into consideration.

What is not mentioned in the different documentations as well as configuration guide I read was:

If Using a Fiber Port (the dummy Port, where no cable is connected) for the Mirroring, make sure the GBIC is inserted.

I don’t know how I came to the following idea, “once I inserted the GBIC” to that port, I was able to get the traffic over GRE.

It would be great if this were documented in the configuration guide.

Nevertheless, I thank you all for your toughs.

Regards

Gradelain

Mike_D
Extreme Employee
Hello Gradelain

An easy to miss snafu (like jumbo but more random) has to do with the blank port being used for the tunnel's resources. It sits at 10Mb-hdx but needs to be configured for 1Gb-fdx to properly allocate resources to the l2 gre tunnel.

I'm having a bit of trouble linking you to the knowledge base doc so here's a clip of the "loopback" port treatment.

Here, mirror destination port ge.1.1 has no physically attached ethernet user, but is to be configured as a loopback port (step 2 below) which will internally forward its received mirrored traffic into the L2 GRE Tunnel (step 3 below) for delivery to the remote destination device.
Important Note!: If this is a 10/100/1000 copper port, it will try to operate in default 10HD mode because it has no attached peer device to negotiate a higher speed and duplex. For such ports, you must change from the default speed and duplex or the tunnel will not come up error-free:

SSA Switch1(rw)->set port duplex ge.1.1 full
SSA Switch1(rw)->set port speed ge.1.1 1000

Hope that helps,

Regards,
Mike
GTM-P2G8KFN