cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNMP credentials no option for 'context"

SNMP credentials no option for 'context"

dabbler
New Contributor II

We have VSP 7400s and 5520s running VOSS with SNMP configured and connecting to Solarwinds no problem. The commands used are:

snmp-server group SNMPGROUP vrf512 auth-priv read-view ALL write-view ALL notify-view ALL
snmp-server user SNMPUSER group SNMPGROUP sha <sha password> aes <aes password>
snmp-server host 10.1.1.1 v3 authpriv SNMPUSER

When creating the SNMP credentials set for the switches in XIQ SE, there is no option to specify the context "vrf512" in the first line above.

Any way to get round this in XIQ SE other than removing vrf512 from the SNMP config?

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

dabbler
New Contributor II

Is it possible to create another group and user, so additional config would look like this:

snmp-server group SNMPGROUP2 "" auth-priv read-view ALL write-view ALL notify-view ALL
snmp-server user SNMPUSER2 group SNMPGROUP2 sha <sha password> aes <aes password>
snmp-server host 10.2.2.2 v3 authpriv SNMPUSER2

I do have a question - how is SNMP being configured on the device the first time? Is it via automated ZTP+ or is it being manually configured via the CLI or WebGUI? Trying to understand why specifying the vrf context was a required step here.

I'd also like to know why the vrf was necessary in the first place? If the SNMPGROUP2/USER2 combination successfully allows XIQ-SE to communicate with the switch it seems the VRF is unnecessary for the original SNMPGROUP/USER combination. No?

SNMP was configured manually in the CLI. External consultants configured the switches originally so not sure why vrf512 was specified but Solarwinds always worked with it.
I tried the SNMPUSER2/SNMPGROUP2 idea above and that worked ok. I can't ping the clip address of the switch so I'm going to have a look at that next.

GTM-P2G8KFN